RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Does Seagate ST3000DM001 do intellipark

revengineer

Now that I have moved away from my WHS v1 I am no longer stuck with with using non-advanced format drives, and I am looking into using 3 TB instead of 2 TB drives. In the past I have bought exclusively WD drives. I have had good luck with them, but was using the WDIDLE3 tools to disable intellipark to reduce the load cycle. Using this tool on a new drive type is always risky as none of the newer drives are officially supported by this tool. So I am looking at alternatives, and the Seagate ST3000DM001 seems to be very close in price. Does anybody know whether this drive has an intellipark-like feature and, if so, whether this feature can be disabled?

The ST3000 does not use intelipark as it is a more performance based drive using 7200.  I have 13 of these and have only had one failure about 20 days after the install.  They are a bit noisier but the difference in performance if very noticeable.  Overall I really like them.

Thanks for your input, PCDoc. Learning in a different thread that the new WD Green's can no longer be tweaked with WDIDLE3, I may give these a shot. I do not need the performance gain, but I like that there is no artificially increased wear through unnecessary load/unload cycles. If I hate the noise I will have to consider whether the $30 Red premium is worth the prices.