RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Nl40, with P410, VMware - Slow as chips!

samuk

Hi All,

Getting little fed up..so hopijg for some help before i blow a fuse..

I have a NL40, with:

• 8GB RAM
  • P410 Raid Controller 256mb Cache
  • x4 2TB 5400 HDD's in a raid 
  • USB stick with VMware 5.1 installed

I have created 2 Windows 2008 R2 Std VM's - and allocated 3GB RAM to each server - its been over a day now and i am still trying to get the servers up and running with the current windows patches..

• Server1 - Will be my file Server
  • Server2 - will be my media server

The CPU usage in the vsphere client is very small - but memory being used is little over 4GB per machine.. have i under allocated memory for the VM? does it need more...then i have also hit the memory limit...

Another example - i disabled the windows firewall - the box took about 45 seconds to close... 

it is so slow...

Any input appreciated..

Edited by samuk

"but memory being used is little over 4GB per machine"

"and allocated 3GB RAM to each server"

Okay, I'm confused.

The Vsphere client shows the 4GB usage - im guessing it the ESX host over head maybe?

Also file copy is slow - starts near 30MB\Sec and drops to 5MB\Sec - this is one large file over a 1GB link...

maybe also related..or is this all write throughput i can expect? read is faster.. 

Edited by samuk

yep, raid 5 with 5400rpm green drives.. 

when i had windows 2012 installed file copy speeds were 40+MB\sec  (using windows 2012 built in raid) as i did not have the hardware raid controller them.. 

copying files between the 2 VM's is really fast.

Edited by samuk

You think me installing ESX on a SSD ill make it faster then USB?

i have a MSG that says system logs are mounted on non persistent storage - does this matter?

This has something to do with the RAID Controller.  ESXi is running in resident memory and installing it on an SSD will not help, IMO.  Couldn't hurt to try.

I'd start looking for some firmware updates for that controller.  What tool are you using as a benchmark?

Are you running the newest firmware Version 6.00 on the P410? Do you have the write cache turned on in the P410?

If copying between two VM's is fast, then I dont think the RAID card is the issue, but you never know. The slow copy is from the MicroServer to another PC? Have you tried puting a different NIC in the server?

Edited by schoondoggy

Are you sure this isn't a processor bottleneck? Do you have a single core per VM or did you over allocate and put a dual core on both VMs? 

When I first got my N54L, I loaded 5.1 on it on a USB and put 16GB of RAM in it for the same purpose and found that having more than 2 or 3 2008 servers on at a time would make the entire environment slow down. Granted I was just running a single server per spindle/datastore, but that shouldn't any affect on the other drives.

i gave up in the end..installed Windows 2012 - i am transferring the same files from my pc across the network at 90MB/Sec tailing off to 75MB/Sec over some time.. wow! 

network utilisation in near 80 - 90% - 

Edited by samuk