cskenney

Lenovo ThinkServer TS130 $259.99

cskenney

Newegg Shell Shocker Lenovo ThinkServer TS130 Tower Server System

$309.99 - $50 rebate card = $259.99 w/ free shipping

Core i3-3220 3.3Ghz CPU

4GB RAM (4 - 240 pin DIMM slots) Max RAM 32GB

Joe_Miner

Nice!  32G of RAM supported and i3-3220 CPU!

BSR

Hmmmm....almost pulled the plug on that one.  However reading some other reviews from around the web made me pause.

The Good:

• Crazy low price for any kind of server at $260
  • Core-i3!
  • Can be expanded to 32GB ECC RAM or 16GB of non-ECC (four slots is nice)
  • Lenovo (I've had very good experiences with other Lenovo products)
  • Nice expansion options with four card slots

The Bad:

• Only two 3.5" drive bays.  You could pull the optical drive and also use the tape drive bay for a drive to get to four, but....
  • Although it has four SATA ports only two are SATA-III -- the other two are SATA-II -- fine if you are just using the optical drive, but limiting for hard drives.  I don't think I would try setting up any sort of RAID or drive pool using both types of ports together.
  • One review (on Amazon) said it doesn't support 3TB drives.  I couldn't confirm that, but none of the literature I could find mentions anything larger than 2TB.  Lenovo's data-sheet says it supports up to 4TB internal SATA storage -- might just be old, but the reviewer said he couldn't get 3TB drives working even after a BIOS update.  With 4TB drives out now, that's a shame.

Nice little server if you will only ever need two drives, but ultimately a bit limiting for most HomeServer types.  Too bad, as that processor would be really nice in any small server.  If they update this and fix the storage issues it might make a worthy competitor to the new Proliant G8.

jkimball

This amazing deal is still on...at $299. 

• Although it has four SATA ports only two are SATA-III -- the other two are SATA-II -- fine if you are just using the optical drive, but limiting for hard drives.  I don't think I would try setting up any sort of RAID or drive pool using both types of ports together.

No mechanical drive can come close to SATA-II speeds, so they are not limiting at all for hard drives.  You only need Sata III if you have an SSD.

• One review (on Amazon) said it doesn't support 3TB drives.  I couldn't confirm that, but none of the literature I could find mentions anything larger than 2TB.  Lenovo's data-sheet says it supports up to 4TB internal SATA storage -- might just be old, but the reviewer said he couldn't get 3TB drives working even after a BIOS update.  With 4TB drives out now, that's a shame.

He is not quire right, and it is a shame you quoted him here. Windows - the operating system - cant boot off a GPT drive, that is any drive larger than 2TB, unless using the still very rare  EUFI bios.  If all he has is  two 3TB drives, he likely won't find a server that will work for him for a few years yet. He will need a high end motherboard that supports EUFI /GPT booting.

When I got my first HD it was 40Megabytes, but MS-DOS 3.3 at the time could only see 33M, so I had to have 33Mb C and 7Mb D:.  the more things change....

I have the TS-130 Xeon with 16G, (non-ecc, regular ram) 128 G ssd, 2 new 3Tb seagate's and 1 older 2TB seagate.  less than a thousand dollars all in.  All working fine.  After I got hyper-v server installed on the SSD I disconnected the DVD. I am thinking of adding a USB 3+esata expansion card to hook the DVD back up and provide USb3 external drive support. My main is WS2012E of course :)

My biggest con: no USB3!  what am I going to do with ten dog slow USb2 ports on a server?  I don't know what Lenovo was thinking?!

Biggest Pro: Intel server management - I can remote keyboard/video/mouse the server, right through a reboot over the network. I used that to adjust the BIOS settings to enable GPT for the 3G drives remotely.  Nice to have real server features in such a small box.

Edited by jkimball

jkimball

To follow up on above, I stumbled upon a nifty USB3+eSATA card.  It has a usb3 port and esata on the back and an internal sata port. Only one of the stat/esata can be active at a time.  I used the internal sata for the DVD and it works great, also tested the usb3 and got over 80M/s sustained from an older 2Tb drive.  Windows Hyper-V server 2012 was plug and play, never touched the driver CD that came with the unit.  Now my server is complete :)

FiLiNuX

This LOOKS and sounds like the little Fujitsu servers that were the same price range / specs.  Is this just a rebranded Fujitsu item?  (All the buttons I would have to push to google it sound like a chore :)  I have heard they were decent machines for the price.  

"Windows - the operating system cant boot off a GPT drive, that is any drive larger than 2TB"

Nevermind I won't say it.  :)

pcdoc

This LOOKS and sounds like the little Fujitsu servers that were the same price range / specs.  Is this just a rebranded Fujitsu item?  (All the buttons I would have to push to google it sound like a chore :)  I have heard they were decent machines for the price.  

"Windows - the operating system cant boot off a GPT drive, that is any drive larger than 2TB"

Nevermind I won't say it.   :)

Essentials 2012 can but not 2011

ikon

Essentials 2012 can but not 2011

Windows 8 too, right? (or wrong?)

schoondoggy

Nevermind I won't say it.   :)

It looks similar to the Fujitsu towers. 

The Fujitsu MicroServer is a nice little system. NewEgg had a blow out on these some time ago;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859115022