RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I cannot access user account after changing back to local account.

clover

I unintentionally joined a domain on 2012 Server Essentials. I went to System Properties and returned the computer to an local workgroup. I rebooted when I thought that it was finished, the logon name and password was the same. It was directing me to user folder "joe.joe.home". All of my user information was under "joe" were it always was. The user name "joe" is in the user account of the Control Panel but it goes to the new account "joe.joe.home".

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Oh boy. I hope someone can give you an easy answer. Switching accounts like this is one of the most mysterious areas of Windows to me. In the past, what I would do is use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate the info from the Domain account to the local one. It's a pretty good solution, but it's not perfect.

An answer, maybe

Easy answer not so sure.

Are you sure that the PC is no longer on the domain? WIndows 7 or 8?

When you say 'user information' do you mean Desktop files, My Documents etc?

So can I assume that the PC is called 'joe' and you are logging in locally (not into a domain) with a username of joe (see it starts getting confusing already!) so the profile should all be stored in c:\users\joe. But what you are seeing is that you log in but are being redirected to a profile location of joe.joe.home and your data is nowhere to be seen.

Right then first things first, on startup, are you given an option to enter a username and password? If not do you have an option for Other User? If so enter your username as

.\joe  

(the dot and the backslash will force the login to be local rather than any residual domain stuff) - do you now have access to your stuff? If yes the I suspect the PC never got properly disjoined from the domain - you can have another go at doing this, don't reboot until it tells you.

If not then you can repoint the location of My Documents etc. Open  Windows Explorer / Computer, should see Libraries down the left hand side, right-click on Documents, Location Tab and then point it to where your My Documents actually lives.

Trouble is you can do this for Documents, IE Favorites etc but not for the hidden files where configuration data such as your email setup is located. To do this, you need to get your hands dirty with regedit.

Log in, open regedit navigate to HKLM\Software/Microsoft/Microsoft/WindowsNT/Currentversion/ProfileGuid

Make a note of the GUID information listed (something like {fcd957cc-...........}

Scroll down to the next registry key which is called ProfileList, expand that out and you should see a number of entries hopefully one of which matches the value you just noted.

Expand that entry and there should be a key in it called ProfileImagePath, the value of this key is where the matching profile data is stored. Edit it if necessary, quit regedit, and log off and back on again

Note that the usual caveats apply here, there is quite a reasonable chance of really, really messing stuff up here so be very careful.

Alternatively as iKon says log in and use the Windows Easy Transfe tool to migrate the info between profiles - the problem you will have is distinguishing between the different profiles and making sure you copy the correct one.

I have a feeling though you will find that the PC just wasn't removed properly from the domain and redoing that may well fix it.

John

Thank jem101. This has been one area I've always felt MS needs to improve significantly. To be honest, I think it's 'messed up'.

Hi

Thanks for the help. I think I have it solved. I used a version of HSS Pro solution to fix it. I knew the folder under users was Joe not Joe.Joe.Home. Using regedit I searched for ProFileGuid whenever I saw a path for joe not going to c:\users\joe then I would change it.

I think the computer was not removed from the domain properly as previously stated.

clover

Just joined my Surface Pro to a Domain. It created a new user ID, of course, which I could log into just fine. I was also able to log into the old, local account by using <LocalComputer'sName>\<UserName> as the User ID and then the password for that ID.

Just joined my Surface Pro to a Domain. It created a new user ID, of course, which I could log into just fine. I was also able to log into the old, local account by using <LocalComputer'sName>\<UserName> as the User ID and then the password for that ID.

Exactly the behavior you would expect.