RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dude

Cant do a bare metal restore - Help

Dude

I am trying to restore my client PC from a WHS2011 back-up and it is failing.

I have tried several back-ups, even went back to a back-up that I know I have previously restored from and am getting the same error, very frustrating, I don't want to have to build the machine from scratch.

The Log file shows the following

[06/28/2013 07:36:34  784] ERROR: CDialog_Restore::Completed failed, HR=0x80070001 (at func: CDialog_Restore::Completed, d:\wssg_src\colorado_qfe\backup\pc\bmr\restorewizard\dialog_restore.cpp (88)

Any ideas from the forums?

Is there a Microsoft WHS2011 Support team I could ask for help?

ikon

Quick questions: what type of drive is in the client computer? HDD? SSD? Is it exactly the same drive you've restored to in the past?

Dude

Its a SSD and I have restored to this drive previously

ikon

Do you go into Disk Manager during the restore process and delete all the partitions and re-create them manually? This is the only way I've been able to do a WHS2011 restore to an SSD.

Dude

No I haven't done that how do I delete the partition and recreate

ikon

Instead of using the Restore Automatically, choose Custom. In there you can access Disk Manager, where you can select each partition and delete them. Be sure to take note of the size of each partition before deleting them.

Next, create new partitions that match the ones you deleted. I'm going to assume you have 2 partitions: a 100MB Reserved, and the balance as C:.

Create a 100MB partition. Do not format it. Do not assign a drive letter to it.

Create a 2nd partition using the rest of the drive. Do not format it. Assign C: drive to it.

Now, close Disk Manager and continue on with the rest of restoration. Double-check the partition assignments to ensure the C: volume in the backup will be restored to the C: partition you created, and ditto for the Reserved.

Dude

Thanks Ikon, I will try it tonight, I have set up a new Win7 on the drive so at least I can do basic functions, but really want to restore to that known state, will take a weekend to re-build everything from scratch which negates the benefits of WHS.

Dude

I only have the one partition on the c drive, so should be relatively straight forward.........famous last words!

ikon

Good luck with it. The key to my restores to SSDs has been the partition deletion and re-creation, so I hope it works for you too.

Dude

Ikon, your solution worked however I had a similar problem with bringing my other files across which is on a spindle drive. 

Very frustrating I was able to copy the folders and files using the restore option from the dashboard but wasn't able to do a bare metal restore of my C drive and this E drive which is where I keep all my non-critical data and User files, to limit the space on the SSD drive.

I have lost faith in the bare metal restore component of Windows.  I have the log files so am thinking I will ask Microsoft to see if they can advise )not feeling confident) 

So in the end I formatted my C & E drives and have undertaken a full system re-build, hours of work, probably 4 hours just to get all the Window 7 updates, then installing all the programs and getting the Live Mail files to import a nightmare.

On the positive side I did find the culprits that caused my machine to be locked, have updated another post with details.

Thanks for your help with this I appreciate it.