RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to see dhcp client list and port forward setup

ivanvm

I've read through some of the posts indicating that we should let the server manage dhcp. All good. But where do I see the IP client list and where do I setup the port forwards? Is there a way to set fixed IP addresses for networked devices?

OK, first off, you keep the port forwards on your router, not your Windows Server. Second, it's not so essential to have DHCP on your Windows Server; it's much more important to keep DNS on the server.

As far as I understand it, you set up the static IP on the PC/Severs

For non PC devices I am not sure how you hand out fixed IPs

To see the IP leases allocated by the DHCP server.

DHCP Console > Expand the Serve Name > Expand Scope Name, (it is possible to have the server allocating IP addresses on multiple ranges) >  Expand IPv4 > Expand Address Leases

That will list all of the IP addresses which the server has allocated along with the hostnames of the device.

Now for fixed addresses, I assume you mean a feature where the server will always give out the same IP address to a client device - that's called DHCP Reservations. 

Right-Click on the Reservations Folder and select New Reservation. You will need to enter the MAC address of the device you want to 'fix' the IP address on to, the address you want to give it and a name and description.

When the device next restarts or requests a new IP lease, the server will always give it that fixed address.

John

Ok just realised that I've put a couple of these things the wrong way round

Should be Expand IPv4 and then Expand Scope Name

John