RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-v H/W reccomendations

Unguided

Hello all. I would like to build a windows server 2012 standard box and add hyper-v role in my home. Current available h/w consists of two amd fx 8120 processors and two amd phenom II x4 processors. I have four mobos that will support up to 32 gigs of ram each. My questions are:

1. Would you use any of this h/w for the virt server?

2. Can you give an opinion on this mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128563

3. Can you reccomend a mobo and proc for the build if you would not use the above listed h/w?

Realizing that virtualization is ram and disk i/o intensive and not so much proc intensive, Im not opposed to buying new h/w just not sure what the best choice is for the virt. server. I plan to use it for testing different os's and "production" servers. Kind of like pcdoc and no control have used their servers.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edited by Unguided

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

• Unguided

"I have four mobos that will support up to 32 gigs of ram each"

Do you already own the 32GB of memory for these boards? Memory goes up in price as it gets older, less popular. Using what you have is a great idea as long as it is cost effective. I would work up a cost sheet on old versus new.

I do have the ram to fill the boards to capacity. I was just wondering if it would be better to run what I currently have or consolidate down to one virt machine vs multiple machines. The board I posted has support for 64gb ram which I already own so it would be the cost of the board and processor to upgrade about $500.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok. So after listening to a number of the Home Server Show and BYOB podcasts I have decided to abandon the AMD h/w in favor of intel. I listened to BYOB podcast 124 twice and got some really good information from it. That being said, it has been recommended not to go with haswell at this time.Thanks pcdoc, no control and Jim (sorry dont know your forum name). Obviously, xeon and sandy/ivy bridge is still on the table. My question is: Is the x79/lga 2011 mobos an option? I have noticed that a lot of you guys are not running this platform for virtualization. Just wondering why? Is it cost etc. I realize I would get more ram out of it but is it worth the money? Thanks for the replies. BTW, Thank you Dave. I did take advantage of the drivepop special you worked out for us. Thaks for the replies and keep up the great work in the forums and podcasts. Pro guys like you really help out the non pros like me get the information from real world experience.

Ok. So after listening to a number of the Home Server Show and BYOB podcasts I have decided to abandon the AMD h/w in favor of intel. I listened to BYOB podcast 124 twice and got some really good information from it. That being said, it has been recommended not to go with haswell at this time.Thanks pcdoc, no control and Jim (sorry dont know your forum name). Obviously, xeon and sandy/ivy bridge is still on the table. My question is: Is the x79/lga 2011 mobos an option? I have noticed that a lot of you guys are not running this platform for virtualization. Just wondering why? Is it cost etc. I realize I would get more ram out of it but is it worth the money? Thanks for the replies. BTW, Thank you Dave. I did take advantage of the drivepop special you worked out for us. Thaks for the replies and keep up the great work in the forums and podcasts. Pro guys like you really help out the non pros like me get the information from real world experience.

The 2011 is certainly an option it just tends to be a bit more expensive (mostly in the MB), use a bit more power, and uses triple channel memory that you have buy in matched sets.  The performance gain may not warrant but it depends on how you push it and your goals.  I would do some comparing of some benchmarks/cost and than make your choice.  For what you are going to use it for and needing the ram, I would not yet go with Haswell (though it is getting a bit better but still not stable) and stick with IVY bridge if you are buying near term.  If you can wait a couple of months for them to straighten out the BIOS mess, then you should be OK.  Personally Haswell is good but a bit of let down.

Thanks pcdoc for the information. Ivy Bridge it is. On your podcast, you guys said the sweet spot for nics was two. I belive that was no control. Are intel nics preferred for this use case? I know you dont like them b/c they dont conform to standards and dont work right with wol. etc. Thanks again for the podcasts.

Lets try this again. Here is what I really meant.

Thanks pcdoc for the information. On your podcast,
you guys said the sweet spot for nics was two. I believe that was no
control. Are intel nics preferred for this use case? I know you dont
like them b/c they dont conform to standards and dont work right with
wol. etc.  In BYOB 127, I believe, you said everybody except Asus seems
to be having these memory issues. I was looking at using the Asus Z87 WS
mobo linked below. I, like you, have been a long time Gigabyte fan. 
But, lately I have also started to really like Asus. I have also been a
long time AMD b/c you could move the proc from board to board without to
much trouble. Meaning, an AM2+ would work in an AM3+ socket. Thanks to
you guys, I am now seeing the power of the intel procs. With that said
would you move to Haswell with the Asus board listed below or any Asus
board for that matter or would you still avoid it altogether for now.
Thanks again for the information and great podcasts.

http://microcenter.com/product/415469/Z87-WS_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard       or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131998

Unguided:

There are some recent threads that had a lot of good info (IMHO) on optimal Hyper-V or VM boxes that you may wish to check out:

Edited by Joe_Miner

Intel NICs not working with WoL? News to me. I've used WoL with Intel NICs in the past. Is there a particular model or models that don't work?