RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to resolve a constant nagging WHS2011 warning

ArtieMcD

I have build 3 different home 2011 home servers now... One is mine... and two others for clients/friends... On all three boxes we get the same warning in the WHS Alert Viewer and am stumped what we need to do to resolve it.  

The warning is:

A scheduled cleanup task for the Client Computer Backup did not succeed on [DATE 11:59:01 PM] and the task has not been successful in [NUMBER] days.   When one tries to "repair" the issue the warning simply goes away and is rearmed within an hour or so. 

There's talk about this same issue on MS's connect site for Server 2012 but the workarounds posted there don't seem to work... In their situation the tasks are not running (and the workaround is to reset the start triggers and the tasks magically start running)... But in the WHS 2011 case, the tasks are running as scheduled, but when you look at the status in the Task Scheduler the "ConsistencyChecker" task shows an error code as an exit status.

There is no obvious problems on the servers... All the client backups run fine..

Is this a common error on all WHS installs?     It's completely strange here as I'm seeing it on three totally different systems... all of them are homebrew builds repurposing older desktops.

• 10 months later...

Was going to start a new topic posing this question/same issue, so I thought I would just refresh this topic.

I have tried a wide variety of fixes for this based on searches and seeing similar issues with Server 2012 Essentials.

I keep getting the warning above. Server has been online for about 2 years I believe, well not online but installed/active!

In the event viewer I see event 274 (cleanup start) occasionally (I think when I am trying to trigger it manually) and then 275 back a few months when I wasn't getting the error.

I have tried rebuilding the scheduled tasks, I have tried changing the start date/time.

When I trigger the scheduled task manually I am not sure if it is operating right or not, I get operation code 1 for the start but operation code 2 for the finish, not sure if that means it completed or not.

Also unsure of the consistency checker is running.

I went and manually checked backups and they seem to be retaining approximately with my stated frequency. The warnings from the console just makes me wonder.

Would love some help! Thanks in advance!

Some links of people discussing the problem:

http://www.datazx.cn/Forums/en-US/4a26013f-434c-4cf4-9d26-4cd4008d7737/action?threadDisplayName=cleanup-task-for-client-computer-backps-fails-exception-code-0xc0000025&forum=whs2011

http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2013/03/server-2012-essentials-client-backup-cleanup-not-running/

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/093276b7-906d-42d5-abe2-8ecbd552443f/scheduled-cleanup-task-for-client-computer-backups-did-not-succeed?forum=whs2011

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/92d32b04-c316-4e46-82b3-fd4582fd8fd8/client-backup-database-cleanup-not-executing?forum=winserveressentials

One other quirk is I am not getting any alert emails from the server either when services crash/fail (like backup).

• 1 month later...

Resolved my issue. Turns out I had a hard drive (one of several in this pool) going bad, after another week or two the machine hung up on a reboot with a SMART error.

Replaced the hard drive and the other issues resolved themselves.

Well, that could definitely do it.

Do you have any SMART monitoring tools on the server? Such as StableBit Scanner or Home Server SMART? It may be a good idea, for the future, and should notify you before it starts affecting the system.

reading SMART info from drives in a RAID array is a tough nut. Most RAID cards make the individual drives invisible to the system. The only way I've heard of it working is through software provided by the RAID card maker.

reading SMART info from drives in a RAID array is a tough nut. Most RAID cards make the individual drives invisible to the system. The only way I've heard of it working is through software provided by the RAID card maker.

Exactly. And usually that SMART data is ONLY readable with the manufacturer's custom software.