RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
keeplearnin

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Preview Is Available For Download

keeplearnin

Just was logged in to my Technet and noticed that R2 was available for download. I am going to get this up and running pre-prod in the next few days anyone else in?

Here is the public link for non Technet\MSDN subscribers

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205288.aspx

• Like 1

jcollison

Yea...downloading right now.  Will have screen shots on Wednesday for the show

Joe_Miner

Just was logged in to my Technet and noticed that R2 was available for download. I am going to get this up and running pre-prod in the next few days anyone else in?

Here is the public link for non Technet\MSDN subscribers

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dn205288.aspx

Thanks for the heads up KeepLearnin!  I'm in!  

tinkererguy

Jim, thanks for the heads-up on this post by keeplearnin!

Interesting that the public link uses all that Akamai CDN torrent like thing for the download, eh?

I went with MSDN simple download from IE instead, which I grabbed a picture of here, taking about 20 minutes, and using about 70% of my 30Mbps downstream bandwidth.

ikon

That Akamai Downloader is the bane of my existence. It doesn't play well with Untangle, actually preventing downloads. There is a really crude way to get around it by logging into the UT interface and disabling a session and re-enabling it (I think; it's been a while), but it requires pretty precise timing to function.

jcollison

Jim, thanks for the heads-up on this post by keeplearnin!

Interesting that the public link uses all that Akamai CDN torrent like thing for the download, eh?

I went with MSDN simple download from IE instead, which I grabbed a picture of here, taking about 20 minutes, and using about 70% of my 30Mbps downstream bandwidth.

I did the same.  Worked well.  Installed last night.  I am a little confused about how the Hyper-V role is going to work.  The role is installed and running, but I cannot get to it from the server manager.  Anyone found any documentation on this so far?

jem101

Are you saying that you can't find the Hyper-V management console? If it's not obvious how about opening a blank MMC console and adding the Hyper-V management console to it and then saving?

John

jcollison

Correct.  If you try to add the role, it says it is already running.  When you try to access it from the Server Console - Tools - Hyper - V it's not there.

jmwills

Downloading now.....any MMC should bring it up.

Start>Run.type MMC and should see if available to add in.  Did it install as an APP on the Desktop?

Start>Run.type MMC  (yea, I know, old school)

jem101

OK so the back end role claims to be there but the front end console has gone AWOL

Try Start Screen

RUN

in the run box enter MMC

When it opens goto File and Add/Remove Snap in

In the list on the left scroll down and see if the Hyper-V Manager is listed. If it is then select and hit the add button. If it's not there then we have bigger things to worry about.

Assuming it is then hit OK

See what happens

John