RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

i3-540 vs. MicroServer

awraynor

So I must admit all the microserver talk is exciting and I thought about drinking the kool-aid.

Passmark gives my existing i3 540 an 100 pt. advantage over the G2020T in the new microserver.

Other than energy savings is there any appreciable reason why I should spend $500 to be one

of the cool kids and risk spousal disapproval, or just keep chugging along with my existing i3-540,

8GB of RAM on GB H55M USB3?

Do the math....calculate the energy used and a payback period.  Given those two choices, I'd stay where I was at unless you need something for testing.

Given the perceived lack of performance improvement I also feel I'll just stick with the

i3-540. It's slow, but does the backups and streams my dvd rips just fine for the price

of free.

Also just realized that when I post from my wife's laptop, it seems to double post.

Like this acer touchscreen Win8 notebook, but the track pad is terribly sensitive.

The I3 will run circles around the Microserver in terms of CPU.  Get yourself a nice little case that holds a pile of drives and don't look back.

Well it appears the consensus it to stick with what I have. I think I'll get a RAID card for the OS drives and maybe add some RAM, would greater than the existing 8GB of RAM help?  Since the only RAID I have done is with the Icy Dock 3.5 to dual 2.5 adapter (which was suboptimal), which RAID card would be a good one for my situation. My case has a number of hot swappable bays and that is fine for me.

No need for more than 8 gigs.  WHS 2011 won't see it, and I'm not sure if 2012 will, but 8 will be plenty.  I;m sure plenty of folks will say the HighPoint RocketRaid 2720.

How much storage do you have and what are you going to do with the server? Depending on the capacity and usage you may not need a RAID card.