RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012E Server Backup fails if Client Computer Backups folder is in pool

Mr_Smartepants

My production server is my HP MSS EX490 w/ WHS2011 (works great), but I've been playing with an evaluation copy of Server 2012 Essentials on my new N54L Microserver.

I have a 2TB drive set for Server-Backup (no drive letter), and two drives in a pool using Stablebit Drivepool (two 4TB drives).

I have all the server folder shares moved to the Drivepool.

Initiating a Server backup while selecting ANY folder from the Drivepool (ie. \Pictures) will fail within a few seconds as long as the Client Computer Backups folder is sitting on the pool (even if it's not selected for backup).

I'm going to move the Client Computer Backups folder to another drive outside the Drivepool and report back once I get another 2TB drive freed up to use.  I'll wager that all backups will work properly.

The event viewer is showing failures in the VSS (Volume Shadow copy Service) even though VSS is not enabled.

There's already a TechNet article documenting the problem with Server 2012 (all flavors).  It doesn't matter which pool solution is used (Stablebit, Drivebender, Storage-Spaces) the outcome is the same.

Just thought I'd mention it here since I couldn't find a post here that documents this bug.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Mr_Smartepants

• jem101

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet it doesn't know how to take a snapshot of a drivepool.  A array, yes, a drive pool....not so sure.

Yeah, but the fact that the bug occurs even when using the built-in Storage-Spaces (I don't use SS) means that M$ missed that scenario during Quality Control testing.

That's a pretty big blunder if you ask me considering how hard they were pimping SS.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

I wonder what would happen if you redirected a client folder such as music or pictures to be server side only.  This sounds like an issue with the client connector software.

I seem to recall something about this, either through a Paul Thurrott or TechNet blog. What I recall is that MS knew about this and it wasn't missed at all. The Best Practice was to keep the Client PC Backup Pool directly on a physical drive. i'll see if I can re-find the article.

Well, client backups work great.  It's the server backup that fails.

I'm doing all of this through RDP.  I'll post photos and more details in the morning.  I'm tired.

Thanks for the clarification. Dang, wish my memory was better. Haven't been able to locate the article again either :( That said, it could very well have been the server backups the article talked about.

Anyway, glad to hear the Client PC backups are working, and that we've got it spelled out here in black and white.

So it's the server backup that fails when part of the pool?  Now that makes sense.  The server backup is supposed to be on a dedicated drive.