RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
kermi

Restore Woes on WHS2011

ArtieMcD

Oh BTW, one last note.... On the surface pro, it's also possible to perform recovery/boot from the micro-SD card.  Pretty much you can create your bootable media on it just like a USB key... And save the USB slot for a wired Ethernet adaptor (if you don't want to recover over wifi or don't have a USB hub).

Finally.... DONT FORGET... when you back up your Surface pro recovery image... You need to change the size of the win RE tools partition to 900 MB... Once you have backed up the recovery partition.. Go into the backup under \sources\CreatePartitions-UEFI.cmd... and change the first "create partition primary size=" line to be 900.   I strongly recommend backing up your USB recovery key as well (I basically created a VHD and copied the image to it so I can save it in my shares with all my win installs and recovery tools that I keep with me whenever I go support my clients)

All attempts to backup the Surface Pro on WHS2011 and Server2012 will fail until you increase the size of the WinRE partition to 900 MB...   Sadly this is where MS screwed up with the deployment of the Surface Pro image.

ikon

When I hold down the Volume Down key and hit the Power Button, my SP just boots to the Space Needle splash screen. I've tried a bunch of different timings: doesn't help. I tried it on my wife's SP as well and I get the same results.

Pressing the Volume Up button on bootup brings up a text screen about Secure Boot.

ArtieMcD

Have you tried the alternative?       Using the advanced start up in the Win 8 PC settings to boot first into the Win RE environment then selecting the USB drive as the boot device?     If you do that and you select the USB key and the boot reverts back to the hard drive then you know for sure that USB key is not bootable on a UEFI system.      On my surface pro... both ways (hold down the vol button and boot and doing an advanced startup) will successfully start the system from a properly created USB stick.     Test with a USB key created by the  win 8 installer (or the Win 7 iso->usb tool works too)....

Oh, also... make sure the micro-sd slot is empty if you are booting with the vol down method.  Looks like it check the bootability of the micro-sd first before the USB stick. 

ikon

Good tip about the MicroSD slot. I have had a card in there some of the time, but it's been removed for a few weeks, so that's not it.

On a positive note, I was able to use the same USB3 stick I used to unsuccessfully try Win2Go, to copy over the Recovery Partition and it did boot. So, the good news is that my SP did boot from USB. The bad news is that I have been unable to boot from any other USB device.

Last night I downloaded drivers for the Marvell AVASTAR 350N wireless card in the SP. I will try creating a WHS Recovery USB stick and add the 350N drivers to it, to see if it can be booted and used to do a restore of the SP.

kermi

I managed to restore my computer with using another desktop.. However this makes me wonder how the hell am i *ever* going to do a restore on my Thinkpad Helix.. whatnot with that not having easily detachable drive.. ugh.

ikon

OK, just to add to the mix, today I installed WSE2012 on a test box. I then created a Recovery Key from it. I took that key and added drivers for the Marvell AVASTAR N350 Wireless adapter that comes with the Surface Pro to a folder in the root of the key. I also added drivers for an Anker USB3 NIC adapter I bought on Amazon -- I copied the 32 & 64 bit drivers for both Win7 and Win8 into 4 folders in the root of the key.

Next, I installed the WSE2012 Connector onto my Surface Pro 128. It automatically joined me to the Domain and created a new user account on the Surface Pro (I didn't use the Skip Domain Join procedure).

I tested logging into my original Surface Pro user account and it worked fine -- all my programs, tiles, etc. were there. However, there was no Launchpad.

I logged out of that account and logged back in using the account created during the installation of the Connector. This time I only had the default programs, tiles, etc., but the Launchpad was there.

I initiated a backup using the Launchpad but it failed, saying that there wasn't enough space. I used the DashBoard to modify the backup configuration to only back up the C: partition and started another backup -- this time it succeeded. I'm going to have to test the instructions ported by ArtieMcD for increasing the size of the RE Toos partition so it can be backed up.

Next, I used the Recovery Key I created earlier to boot my Surface Pro. It booted up into the Recovery Wizard using the Volume Down Button trick just fine, something that's notable in itself, because the Surface Pro won't boot from very many other sources. I did not have the Anker USB3 NIC connected. After clicking on the Load Drivers button, the Wizard found the AVASTAR N350 Wireless NIC. But, when I clicked to continue the recovery, the Wizard could NOT find my server. My hypothesis is that a wireless link could not be established because the Wizard doesn't know the password for the wireless access point.

I shut down the Surface Pro, connected the Anker USB3 NIC, and booted again from the USB Recovery Key. Observant readers will note an issue here -- exactly how did I boot from a USB key AND also have a USB NIC connected. The answer is simple: I connected the NIC and Recovery Key to an active (i.e. powered) USB hub (a DLink 7-port) and then connected the hub to the Surface Pro. The bootup went fine. When the Wizard came up I again clicked Load Drivers. This time both the AVASTAR N350 and Anker NICs came up. When I clicked to continue the recovery the Wizard was able to find my WSE2012 server.

I initiated a recovery of my C: partition. It succeeded and I'm using the Surface Pro right now to type this.

So, it is possible to back up and restore at least a Surface Pro's C: partition using WSE2012. Wireless restoration seems to be problematic -- perhaps it might work on an unsecure access point, something I wouldn't want to do anyway. A wired NIC can work, provided the correct drivers can be loaded. A Recovery key created using WSE2012 does work, and the drivers can be loaded onto it, which is very convenient.

Next on the list, uninstall the Connector, try unjoining the Surface Pro from the Domain and see about re-installing the Connector using the Skip Domain Join option.

After that, perhaps try the instructions to increase the size of the Recovery Partition so it too can be backed up. ArtieMcD, is there any particular reason why I need to back up the RE Tools partition? Or the Recovery Partition? I seem to have 2 Recovery Partitions: a 600MB one at the start of the drive (is this the RE Tools partition?) and a 7.8GB one at the end of the drive. I also have an EFI System Partition and the C: partition.

EDIT: I was able to remove my Surface Pro from the Domain, uninstall the Connector, modify the registry to invoke the Skip Domain Join, re-install the Connector without joining the Domain, and do both a manual and automatic backup of both the C: and Recovery Image partitions.