RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
kermi

Restore Woes on WHS2011

kermi

There was several server reboots.

I did do reinstall of the client and now i just need to figure out how to get the data back..

Does the restore client do some funky network traffic, since networking on the server works fine on every other use.

jmwills

Nothing out of the ordinary. "Get the data back"?  Did you backup scheme include data?

ikon

Is it possible you need to load a NIC driver for the reinstall to work? For example, is the NIC in the Client PC a Realtek? If it is, it's almost a certainty you need a driver.

I'm not sure it's possible to restore an image to an HDD or SSD attached directly to the server. I seem to recall others having issues with this in the past. You should, however, be able to restore an image to an HDD or SSD attached to a Client PC other that the one it normally sits in.

ArtieMcD

If you are having issues creating a recovery disk/key to do a bare metal restore on a particular machine.. (Due to missing nic drivers, or other issues) It's  best to actually create your own recovery media using Windows To Go.   Just create your self a Windows 8 to go usb stick.. Install the WHS client on it... then boot the machine you wish to restore with that key.    Install the same NIC drivers on the "To Go" image if need be the same way you would have done it on the client machine  (Win update, or manufactures drivers).       Once it's on the network... you pretty much can run the client to perform a full restore back to the original drive on the machine...

kermi

Nothing out of the ordinary. "Get the data back"?  Did you backup scheme include data?

Well the OS disk has little to none actual user data. I just want my entire OS back. There's no-trivial amount of configuring and software installs to rebuild from ground up. I have backups so i needen't do that.

Is it possible you need to load a NIC driver for the reinstall to work? For example, is the NIC in the Client PC a Realtek? If it is, it's almost a certainty you need a driver.

I'm not sure it's possible to restore an image to an HDD or SSD attached directly to the server. I seem to recall others having issues with this in the past. You should, however, be able to restore an image to an HDD or SSD attached to a Client PC other that the one it normally sits in.

Yes, the recovery enviroment asked for NIC drivers, which i provided and it kindly found my NIC. After that, it went to search for the server, and utterly failed to do so either automagicly, or by me providing hostname / IP.

If you are having issues creating a recovery disk/key to do a bare metal restore on a particular machine.. (Due to missing nic drivers, or other issues) It's  best to actually create your own recovery media using Windows To Go.   Just create your self a Windows 8 to go usb stick.. Install the WHS client on it... then boot the machine you wish to restore with that key.    Install the same NIC drivers on the "To Go" image if need be the same way you would have done it on the client machine  (Win update, or manufactures drivers).       Once it's on the network... you pretty much can run the client to perform a full restore back to the original drive on the machine...

I believe Windows to Go requires win8 Enterpise, and even then it only works on specific USB keys.

ArtieMcD

Well the OS disk has little to none actual user data. I just want my entire OS back. There's no-trivial amount of configuring and software installs to rebuild from ground up. I have backups so i needen't do that.

Yes, the recovery enviroment asked for NIC drivers, which i provided and it kindly found my NIC. After that, it went to search for the server, and utterly failed to do so either automagicly, or by me providing hostname / IP.

I believe Windows to Go requires win8 Enterpise, and even then it only works on specific USB keys.

Technically yes, if you plan to make a windows 8 to go permanently and boot multiple PCs from it (thus floating the windows license to multiple machines).      However, if you are simply creating a Windows to go stick to boot your existing machine that is already licensed for Windows... it will work perfectly fine... with any sku of windows 8.  (Windows is licensed per device, so this is perfectly legitimate... You are allowed to boot your machine with windows off your hard drive.. or off an external media if you wish)...     It will even activate with your existing windows key since the hardware is exactly the same (on the same machine... clearly if you move the key to a new machine the activation will fail there)...      You can even create a windows 7 bootable image on a USB stick.  It's not "officially" supported... but it works.

>and even then it only works on specific USB keys.

Yup, but so far I have it working perfectly on every  single one of my standard sandisk USB 2.0 sticks...  

Edited by ArtieMcD

ArtieMcD

BTW, I should point out....   Using a Windows To Go stick to boot a machine that is unbootable from the WHS media (or cannot access the network)  also works great for bare metal restores off WHSv1...        I used this procedure to perform bare metal restores on the Samsung Slate 7 that was backed up to WHSv1.....    Since the slate only had wifi nic (and WHSv1 doesn't support restores over wifi) this was the only way to get it to work.           Of course, since the Surface Pro is a UEFI boot device... WHSv1 is not an option as it wouldn't even be able to backup the full boot volume.  

ikon

BTW, I should point out....   Using a Windows To Go stick to boot a machine that is unbootable from the WHS media (or cannot access the network)  also works great for bare metal restores off WHSv1...        I used this procedure to perform bare metal restores on the Samsung Slate 7 that was backed up to WHSv1.....    Since the slate only had wifi nic (and WHSv1 doesn't support restores over wifi) this was the only way to get it to work.           Of course, since the Surface Pro is a UEFI boot device... WHSv1 is not an option as it wouldn't even be able to backup the full boot volume.  

I still can't get my Surface Pro to restore from my UEFI modded WHS2011. I cannot get it to boot from virtually any USB stick.

kermi

Also, i find it quite unacceptable that i'd need to fiddle with deployment tools and custom images and booting full windows off a usb stick just to restore a damn backup!

ArtieMcD

I still can't get my Surface Pro to restore from my UEFI modded WHS2011. I cannot get it to boot from virtually any USB stick.

Press and hold the volume down key as you boot the Surface pro... Once the surface splash screen comes up... you can release the button.

Alternatively, if you can boot into the windows RE (If the machine is bootable to windows 8 you can tell it to boot into the RE environment on next boot) from the advanced settings there you can select which partition to boot from.

Definitely test this out using the Surface recovery USB (if you created one from the recovery partition that shipped with the machine.)... Or just create use the win 8 installer to create a bootable Win 8 USB install key....   Test with either of those to make sure you have the boot from USB procedure figured out...    The win 8 (and surface recovery partition) are both properly set up to boot a UEFI only machine.

Unless you hack around with the boot files on the WHS2011 key, unfortunately out of the box it will not boot the surface... It tries but eventually it will simply switch back to boot from the win partition on the internal disk.   It's likely manually fixable, but for me.. It's much faster to just copy over my win 8 .vhd image to my USB stick and boot right to win 8 and do the repairs I need to do on the system.

Also, i find it quite unacceptable that i'd need to fiddle with deployment tools and custom images and booting full windows off a usb stick just to restore a damn backup!

Sure, but if you want something that works... This is what you need to do at least until MS gets it's act together and publishes a fix for the WHS 2011 USB key (which likely will never come).. And we know WHSv1 will never have an official recovery media for optical-less machines.

This is basically the cost of progress....   We used to boot from floppy disks, but then we switched to CD booting...   Now machines don't even come with CD's anymore (which is WHS v1's main issue on recovery) and we started using USB keys.   Now machines are not shipping with a BIOS anymore... killing all the prior boot methods that are not UEFI aware (WHS 2011's recovery disk)...     Each time, we work around it and move forward.  

Edited by ArtieMcD