RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
kermi

Restore Woes on WHS2011

kermi

So.. all of the sudden in a very monday-ish move, my computer destroyed itself. Client computer running Win8 Pro x64 (not booting as UEFI / GPT).

So there i am trying to restore it from my backups.. The USB key option gives me some strange errors and flat down refuses to work. Burn the ISO to a CD, it boots up to  the point where the recovery enviroment starts to look for the server, and then gives an unknown network error.

So I pull my SSD from the box that died, attached it to the server and ran the client restore wizard on the server. All i get is a quick flash of the screen where it asks server password, and then *BAM*, "unknown networking error occured."

What gives? I'm pretty much stumped here. It'd be nice if i could actually restore my backups...

jmwills

You have a 3TB drive for the OS?

kermi

no, 250 GB SSD  Err, scratch that. Wrong computer. But it's an SSD anyway.. 120 GB one if memory serves.

Edited by kermi

jmwills

For the OS on the client.....did you install the update on the server for UEFI support?

kermi

Yea, the OS drive of the computer that broke is 120 GB SSD

jmwills

You should be able to put the drive in a docking station on a third machine and restore form the server, in fact, I know you can.  Done it several times.

Now, did you install the UEFI support update on the server?

kermi

That's the way I did my restores on WHSv1. I am currently short of available computers to plug stuff into, so i figured it'll work just as well from the server..

Yes, i installed the UEFI support-update. My newest laptop came with UEFI-boot on and caused some moments of googling before i figured out why the backups fail..

jmwills

there is a folder you can drill down to to auto-start the restore process.

C:\Program Files\windows Server\Bin\Client Restore\Top Folder named 1FAE..........\chose either the x64 or x 86 folder for your machine OS type and copy to a desktop

Run Client Restore Wizard as an Administrator and choose the restore to location.

This video should help too.

kermi

Tried that. Still gave me "Unknown network error" and failed to proceed. even though i ran the client restore wizard on the server.

jmwills

Have you tried rebooting the server?  If nothing else works, I'd put a generic install on your client and restore over the top of it.  Sounds like the NIC is hosed.