RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What Feature(s) Would You Like to See Added to Vail?

PCEddie

After listening to Podcast number 85, I had a idea for a feature to be added to Vail. I also though it would be a good topic for a thread as well.

I would like to see a version of Windows Server Updae Service added as a function of Vail. Rather than rely on auto update on each computer, have Vail download the updates to computers it is backing up and push them out.

Just my $0.02.

PC Eddie

There was another thread a while back where I posted my wish list, but I will post it here also.

* Ability to back up more than 10 devices
* Ability to backup Xbox 360

@PCEddie The only time I see that being helpful is if you are on pay-per-GB or capped internet connection. Otherwise, it's just so much easier to have them all self-update. *shrug*

I thought there was a previous thread about this topic. If so, I am sorry for revisiting this topic. That is true usacomp2k3. I was thinking of way to set it and forget it. What we now have on each windows computer is good but I was thinking of a way to central way to push out the updates as soon as they are available from Microsoft. This would not give a person a chance not to cancel a Windows update but rather a better way of pushing out the Windows updates. I would see this useful for home networks, small businesses, and small computer labs.

Hey usacomp2k3, every time I look at your photo I think of the movie "Big Trouble in Little China". Not sure if you have seen it, but it was a good B movie for it's time.

I requested this in Microsoft Connect so I might as well talk about it here... I would love to have native CD and DVD/BlueRay ripping built into WHS Vail, not just thru Add-ins. I would also like to have the server act as the center of all things media, i.e. being able to act as my DVR, being able to schedule recordings remotely, and being able to hang network tuners in the server as well. I feel that the server is the only PC in my house that should be on 24/7 so if it could also have my Zune software built in that would be great. I know that is a lot to ask but that is my $0.02.

jvk

@geek-accountant I just think the hat is great. I did like that movie though. Good stuff

@jvk. Not that I have any say, but here's my thoughts:
*cd ripping = maybe, but not without something like the Zune software
*dvd ripping = since it is still technically illegal (the breaking of the disk's encryption), they aren't ever going to add it in there.
*DVR = I agree 100%
*Network tuners = I'm mixed on this. I think that products like the HD HomeRun really are the way to go. More reliable and saves resources from the server.
*Zune software = The problem is that the Zune experience really is a 2-foot app. Other than podcasts, you have to be able to see the screen to manage your stuff. They'd have to do a significant amount of changes to take out the part that requires input and almost create a Zune-lite which would have limited functionality but would do things like cd ripping, podcasts, and then maybe smarts like being able to do "latest 5 TV shows" or "pictures in the last 30 days". It can already do this last one, IIRC.

Okay so here's my thoughts. Over the past few months I've gone from being big on the media center integration to being big on the data backup/integrity stuff. Even with duplication you can have issues with file conflicts if there's a problem with a drive. I want to see RAID in there. Disk Extender is okay but quite frankly it's not as good as the technology that Drobo uses. If they can do it (Drobo) then MS should be able to too. Or just buy Drobo or license their technology from them. That way we can have RAID as part of our solution in an idiot proof manor. They also need to allow for imaging of the system partition to make recovery a lot easier if that fails. I'm sorry but a server re-install just does not seem like it belongs in a product with the word "Home" in it.

So in an easier to digest list:

- Allow imaging of the system partition
- Incorporate an easy to use RAID solution a la Drobo
- Provide better tools for the SOHO market including more PC backups
- Provide better integration with MC
- Provide integration with Live Mesh or whatever cloud solution MS wants to use. Personally I like Live Mesh so I hope that's what they go with.
- Provide integration with Xbox 360 - Great thought geek-accountant. I never thought of that but I like it a lot.

I'm sure there's more I want but I can't think of right now. ;-)

My big ones are

- Allow imaging of the system partition *same as @krom
- A new web interface and build in a next generation Webguide that streams everything (they bought it and killed it)
- A master media center guide scheduling function. So every media center knows who is recording what show.