Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shoop

Remote web access to second WHS 2011?

64 posts in this topic

OK, I can understand if you don't want to give out your IP. Just for the record, after testing, I was going to suggest you unplug your router for 5 minutes, so that it would get a new & different IP after booting back up.

Let me ask this: are you able to PING your Internet IP?

I pinged my ip and all i get are request time outs.  4 packets sent and 4 packets lost. 

That is probably the router with the "Drop ICMP" feature enabled.

That could be. I also just realised I forgot to mention that the PINGing should be done from outside the LAN, or by using one of the websites that will PING an IP for you.

Drop ICMP must be a hidden switch. Ill double check for it though.

I used a website and they all came back lost.

Edited by Shoop

By fault, all of the SOHO routers are set to drop ping (ICMP) requests.  It's a good policy.

Drop ICMP must be a hidden switch. Ill double check for it though.

I used a website and they all came back lost.

To be thorough, you should try this using both the IP address and the domain name. You probably did that, but just wanted to be sure.

Maybe im confused but how can my ip generate lost pings but I can still access my other windows home server?

You can ping your external IP and you get responses?  That's not good from a security standpoint.

Maybe im confused but how can my ip generate lost pings but I can still access my other windows home server?

This is pretty easy to explain. PINGs are not automatic. They are responses to requests from a source computer to a target computer. Part of the IP code in the target computer has to receive the PING request and respond to it. It is possible to disable this feature so that the IP code will simply ignore any and all PING requests.

This doesn't mean the router is broken; it only means that you can't PING the router -- the router could work perfectly well in all other respects.

It is a good policy to disable PING responses. It's typically phrased something like "drop ICMP requests", which is the same as saying 'ignore them'. However, in this situation it may be beneficial to enable PING requests temporarily, just to verify everything is working properly.