RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Build...well sort of

horrocksn

Hi everyone.

I posted a while back on my first build, which never materialized (got a little over zealous and somehow thought my better half would sign off on it)... Anyhow I'd like some advice on building a WHS 2011 with used parts.  I recently bought a bunch of computers on the cheap (real cheap) from a going out of biz sale. 

This is what I got:

First Computer

i5 750

Asus P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 6/gbs

16gb 1600 ram

PowerColor SCS3 AX5750 1gb HD

WD Blue 500gb 7200

650 watt corsair

Lian Li Tower

2nd

AMD Phenom 9550

GA-ma78gm-us2h Micro ATX AM2 AM2+

9gb 1066 ram

Segate 7200rpm 750gb

Antec mid tower with easy swap bays

Got a few others but just for the hds, which are:

Hitachi 1tb 7200

WD Cavier Green 800gb

Obviously these are all 3+ years old, but can I make a usable WHS 2011 server with it?  The i5 would be my best choice, however I really like the AMD case (swappable drive bays), and no it only fits a mATX so no swapping in the i5.  Would the AMD be sufficient?  I'm using the server for streaming HD content to no more than 3 devices (2 HTPC and an iPad).

Thanks for the help.

Nick

If that AMD chip matches to a first generation i3, then yes, it will work out just fine for you.  I presume those are 3 gig sticks of RAM, so WHS is only going to see 8 gigs.

I'd go with the i5, if it were me.  Looks like you will be needing some sort of Drive Extender solution such as Drive Bender to match all of those mis-matched drives into one usable solution.

OK, so if you're planning to:

• stream by having the clients (HTPCs and iPad) read and play the video files from a server share, rather than having the server actually decode and stream the files directly
  • use the server for client backups
  • have the server do other general file sharing

then I suspect the AMD will handle the load just fine.

If you want the server to do transcoding, dynamic or static, I suspect you'll want the i5.

What I really recommend is that you start with the AMD; try it, see if it meets your needs. If it does, great; if not, move to the i5.

Either will work but that version of the I5 draws allot of power out of the wall.  I would test them both for power consumption and then make your choice.  If they are close, then go with the I5 as it a much more powerful machine and will last you longer.

I'm in somewhat the same situation. I am thinking about building a new desktop and using my old one for a"new" server. It is a Core i7-875k with 16GB of RAM whereas i now have a Core i3-540 with 8GB of RAM for my server. The i3 does okay, but it can take forever to load the console and with some tasks be a bit slow. I suspect the i7 will be a bit of an energy hog, but getting two new computers past the finance committee won't happen. Any ideas?

I'm in somewhat the same situation. I am thinking about building a new desktop and using my old one for a"new" server. It is a Core i7-875k with 16GB of RAM whereas i now have a Core i3-540 with 8GB of RAM for my server. The i3 does okay, but it can take forever to load the console and with some tasks be a bit slow. I suspect the i7 will be a bit of an energy hog, but getting two new computers past the finance committee won't happen. Any ideas?

You mean other than going into her closet and taking back your pants?? :D :D :D <j/k>

A wise man once told me "pick your battles". She didn't flinch when I told

her I was going to the meetup, which will cost as much as a microserver.

Dang, maybe I should stay home and buy a new microserver instead ;)

She'll figure I better get back and help with the 2 year and 4 year old as soon as I can!