RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
xpsking

Anyone tried Poolhd

awraynor

What the heck, picked one up for $7.95.

JazJon

Wow, After watching the video I have to say the effort they put into the "look and feel" is quite impressive right out the gate. (bravo)

http://poolhd.com/Portals/0/Demo/PoolHD/PoolHD.html

I'm not going anywhere new.   I've been using StableBit DrivePool since early 1.x beta days. (and the innovation is non stop)

When I switched the OS of my Mini-PC server from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 8, I tried both DriveBender and FlexRaid before DrivePool 2.x was available.   (they both were unacceptable to me)    I limped by a few months until StableBit DrivePool 2.0 became available.(supports Windows 8)   Things are rock solid and I've been getting over 113 MB/sec transfers over my gigabit LAN.    

Anyway, it's really interesting to see other peoples approach to drive pooling!   I didn't expect to be impressed but that video has some wow factor to it with out actually knowing what's under the hood.  

Edited by JazJon

jmwills

When you say "Drive Pool" , do you mean StableBit?

JazJon

When you say "Drive Pool" , do you mean StableBit?

Yes, I edited my post (does that make it clearer?) 

jmwills

Yes.  I've only used Drive Bender and it works fine for me.  That one box is an offsite N40L used for backups over  a VPN.

jsox

One copy of PoolHD ordered. I may try it on my Win 7 PC.

I bought Stablebit DrivePool for my W7 machine but have had problems, such as it keeps saying that I need to transfer my license (again) for Scanner. Or the control UI doesn't connect unless I Restart my PC. Granted that some of this is beta, but still... SB DP has been great on my WHS 2011 but perhaps PoolHD will be better on W7.

Dave

Any talk of when diehard?

jsox

The update info for PoolHD 1.7 says the trial copy, no license entry needed, will now pool 2 drives "indefinitely" rather than 30 days. I just installed 1.7 onto an XP machine, then pooled 2 drives (1.0 and 1.5 TB). The client still says "This is a trial license which will expire on the 9/25/2013. At this time the storage pool will become read only." Less than stellar grammar aside, we will see what happens in 30 days...

• PoolHD v1.7 has been released. This brings with it our "Free' up to 2 drives feature, a tray notification app and full WHS notification support.

As it happens, this machine is also my DrivePop / LiveDrive test machine so we'll see what happens with the two together. LiveDrive was paused and exited until I get the data pool sorted out and back to the same drive letter as before.

jsox

Update 1:  StableBit DrivePool (I am running Beta 2.0.0.387) is running just fine on my Windows 7 Pro machine. Improvements have been made in how duplicated folders are flagged. Files can be duplicated more than once to protect against multiple drive failures.

Update 2: PoolHD 1.7 seemed to install ok on my XP Pro test machine and WHS2011 continued to back up the OS drive fine. For less than a week. Then the backups started failing. Checking into it the pooled drive letter was now missing on the XP machine. The pooled drive letter and its constituent drives were not any part of what was being backed up, but somehow PoolHD's issue was preventing successful backups. I messed with it for a week or more, uninstalling, reinstalling, copying data to a new pool, etc. but nothing has fixed it. I confirmed that with PoolHD uninstalled WHS backup was fine. I also confirmed that PoolHD files are all normal NTFS file in a hidden folder, kind of like DrivePool. Anyway, I opened a ticket with PoolHD late yesterday. No response yet, but it is a weekend.