RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L NIC in X1 Slot.

deko

I have a modded HP NC360T in my N40L, its in the X1 Slot as i have a P400 Controller in the other. I does seem that the N40L has a serious bottleneck at the PCI-E Bus.

If i run iperf over a single connection i get nearly wirespeed, if i run it over both ports on the nic it run at 50/50 on each.

Surely the v2.0 X1 interface should be good for 500MB/s

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cskenney

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• deko

How have you modded the NC360T? 

It is a x4 card, I assume you have it plugged into the x4 connector for the RAC?

I am not sure that slot has 4 lanes and I have to assume it is PCIe V1.

or is this the mod:

http://forums.servethehome.com/networking/471-dual-nics-pcie-x1-slot-recommendation.html

The spec for PCIe V2 is 500MB/s, which is the max you could see through two 1000GbE ports.

I have to wonder if the logic on the board throttle performance when it realizes it is in a x1 slot?

edit;

The NC360T is a PCIe V1 card, in a x1 slot it will only do 250MB/s.

So it looks like you are at the max throughput.

Edited by schoondoggy

I will perform some tests from a pair of ml110<>ml110 using the HP Nics and see the results from that. That will prove the cards suck or the bottleneck is N40L Specific,

I've noticed that a SSD in the 4 disk bay on the N40L runs a lot slower than installed in the N40L, Crappy chip-set on the N40L I think.

dEko

Edited by deko

You realize the 4 drive bay slots are SATA II/3 Gbps, right? Oh, and have you checked the BIOS to ensure they are set for SATA II?

I will perform some tests from a pair of ml110<>ml110 using the HP Nics and see the results from that. That will prove the cards suck or the bottleneck is N40L Specific,

I've noticed that a SSD in the 4 disk bay on the N40L runs a lot slower than installed in the N40L, Crappy chip-set on the N40L I think.

dEko

I don't understand what you are trying to do.  If you test between 2 ml110's then are you plugging in the NC360T's into each ML110 and using a x1 slot for the testing?

Your comparison (at least from what I can tell from reading your replies) is the NIC performance of the NC360T in the N40L x1 slot and then you claim the problem is the N40L.

You realize the 4 drive bay slots are SATA II/3 Gbps, right? Oh, and have you checked the BIOS to ensure they are set for SATA II?

I guess you are asking in case something was changed in the BIOS?  They default to SATA II unless someone changes them.

Yes and I also made sure that the disk/interface was set at 3Gbps in the ML100. Still a 30% performance difference.

Looks like you jumped back to the ML100 now.  Ikon was asking you a question specific to setting on the N40L.

snip....

dEko

Is this a typo?  Your comparing N40L to N40L?

I don't understand what you are trying to do.  If you test between 2 ml110's then are you plugging in the NC360T's into each ML110 and using a x1 slot for the testing?

Your comparison (at least from what I can tell from reading your replies) is the NIC performance of the NC360T in the N40L x1 slot and then you claim the problem is the N40L.

In the ML110<>ML110 NIC test i will take two spare nic's and chop them down to X1 spec , i will then run the same iperf test as i did from the ML110( nic in the x4 slot) to the N40L (nic in x1 slot)

I will also test the ML110<>ML110 using the nics running at x4

Just for brevity, this is my little test lab

ESXI 5.1 Hosts (2 of)

ML110 g7

16Gb Ram

Stock HD (storage of templates and iso's)

1* HP NC360T 

Boots from 8GB flahs into ESXI 5.1 (HP build)

SAN host (1 of) running open-e v7 Lite

N40L

8GB Ram

HP P400 ctrl with 512mb/BBU ( 4* 1TB in raid 10)

1 * HP NC360T (cut down to fit in X1 slot)

Boots from 4Gb usb stick internally

deko, on 21 Jun 2013 - 17:13, said:snapback.png

Yes and I also made sure that the disk/interface was set at 3Gbps in the ML100. Still a 30% performance difference.

Looks like you jumped back to the ML100 now.  Ikon was asking you a question specific to setting on the N40L.

Yes he was, which I why I said yes, my bad for not putting a comma after the yes for clarity.

I made sure that both disk interface were running at the same speed (SATA II/ 3Gbps) and the ML110 WAS 30% better than the N40L 

Is this a typo?  Your comparing N40L to N40L?

typo alert, Yes I meant comparing the performance of ML110 to the N40L

Do you have anything to add???

Edited by deko