RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
G. WadeTech

What do you use your Home Server for?

oj88

Mine has a pop-out cup-holder in front -- comes in handy to hold whatever I'm drinking right then.

I guess I'm not using my DVD-ROM drive correctly. :D

Pancakes

DVD ROM drive in a server?

BSR

Yes. I actually stuck an optical drive in that bay at the top of my microserver. That was before I learned I should be using it for a water-cooling reservoir. ;-)

FiLiNuX

KVM Server - AWESOME for people with OS ADD like me.   This also ties in to what I think is the #1 use for my server and that is as a learning tool.  

File Server - FTP - SAMBA Shares - NFS Shares -

Print Server -  Funny to me saying "I run a full time print server"  then look over & see the only printer I have at the moment is a >40.00 HP Black Friday deal deskjet printer :)  

Media Server - Streams media to my WDTV devices better then EVERYTHING else I have tried.  

SSH Server -  Mostly local use some remote.  

BT Client  - Running Transmission in a jail on a anonymous KVM on the MiC is by far the best, quietest, power sipping full time BT setup ever.  

And more...

"That was before I learned I should be using it for a water-cooling reservoir." <-- Did you really do this?  If so do you have any pics?

oj88

DVD ROM drive in a server?

Yeah. Why so suprised? The same reason planes needs a landing gear even though they only use it 1% of the time.

BSR

KVM Server - AWESOME for people with OS ADD like me.   This also ties in to what I think is the #1 use for my server and that is as a learning tool.  

File Server - FTP - SAMBA Shares - NFS Shares -

Print Server -  Funny to me saying "I run a full time print server"  then look over & see the only printer I have at the moment is a >40.00 HP Black Friday deal deskjet printer :)

Media Server - Streams media to my WDTV devices better then EVERYTHING else I have tried.  

SSH Server -  Mostly local use some remote.  

BT Client  - Running Transmission in a jail on a anonymous KVM on the MiC is by far the best, quietest, power sipping full time BT setup ever.  

And more...

"That was before I learned I should be using it for a water-cooling reservoir." <-- Did you really do this?  If so do you have any pics?

Nah, that was firmly tongue-in-cheek....or should I try it and bring the resulting micro-franken-server to the meetup?

Pancakes

Yeah. Why so suprised? The same reason planes needs a landing gear even though they only use it 1% of the time.

I guess I just don't see the need in my Server. What do you use it for?

oj88

Nothing on a daily basis. It's a DIY server and optical drives were cheap so i just stick one in there for convenience. Besides, my WHS2011 installer is on an optical disk and that alone I got to use a few times during my trial and error days.

FWIW, I have removed the DVD drive and put it inside a USB enclosure so it can be mobile. I admit that flash drives are really cheaper now so I try to use them as boot-up devices whenever I can.

mythic.glyph

Besides file sharing and Client PC backups, I run an email server.

Does nobody host their own web server anymore? Perhaps we will see a resurgence as net neutrality continues to erode.

It would be helpful to know what (combination of) services are too demanding for these little boxes. That would help folks know whether or not to upgrade from Gen7 to Gen8 or [gasp!] business class. I picked up a second box in order to answer some of these questions without disrupting my home server availability.

ikon

Technically, my email server is a web server (webmail) :D  Other than that, nope, no web server....