RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
G. WadeTech

What do you use your Home Server for?

Jason

Does any have instructions on how to enable WebDAV publishing in WSE12R2? I rem doing this in WHS2011 but it was a bit flaky. But I recall being able to map a windows drive to a remote WebDAV location.

Drashna Jaelre

Install the WebDAV component for IIS (WPI). Reload IIS, then file the folder in question, disable anon access, and enable the Basic authentication (and use the SSL Settings to Force SSL), and then add an "authoring rule" under WebDAV Authorization. Set the user name or group that you want, and make sure you check read/source/write. And then hit okay.

Once you've done that, you should be able to map the https URL to a drive letter.

hoorah

Does nobody host their own web server anymore? Perhaps we will see a resurgence as net neutrality continues to erode.

It would be helpful to know what (combination of) services are too demanding for these little boxes. That would help folks know whether or not to upgrade from Gen7 to Gen8 or [gasp!] business class. I picked up a second box in order to answer some of these questions without disrupting my home server availability.

Not that isnt already against the TOS with most providers, but with the erosion of net neutrality the ISPs can just as easily (and probably would) shut down port 80 for home use.

kylejwx

Backup

Computer Management

Dropbox

Internal WebServer

FTP Server

NetTransport - Automated Stream Recording (For online radio shows)

Crashplan

RSSHandler so I could download youtube channels videos as a podcast.

SabNZBD

Fingerprint Server for IOS Printing

Central iTunes

iHomeServer

XBMC Master Install

MySQL for central XBMC database

Media Shares for Video/Audio sharing.

uTorrent

Wrote an RSS creation script so I can treat music folders as Podcasts and auto sync with my IOS devices.

A few other random automation scripts.

hey that rss for music folders sounds cool. Would you care to elaborate on your setup?

GavinCampbell

hey that rss for music folders sounds cool. Would you care to elaborate on your setup?

Basically I have a few folders setup and I drop files in it.  The scrip monitors the folder and creates a XML file from the files in the folder.

I use XAMPP and set up a adhoc web site internally to server the xml file.  I then add that xml file to my podcatcher and all music is automatically sync'd to my iphone and ipad.

I also use it to sync pdf files as well.  Even though the podcast program doesn't open them it lets me open them in other apps so I can read them on my phone and ipad as well.

The main reason I did this is because the itunes wireless sync was constantly crashing and running up to 100% resources on my computer.  You might want to give that a try first and see if it works nicely for you (if you use idevices)

kylejwx

Hey, That sounds like a pretty awesome set up.  RSS is a pretty nifty technology and you found a good way to leverage it.

I have been trying to listen to some sermons as a podcast but the church doesn't publish an rss feed so I hand coded my own xml file and hosted it on Google Drive in order to download them as podcasts. https://googledrive.com/host/0B_QuQw4qsVi4UHM5ZVpOMnV1UmM/home.html    Ofcourse my method means I have to hand code a new entry every time I want to add a file.

Is your script something you would be willing to share?  I completely understand if its not.

GavinCampbell

Hey, That sounds like a pretty awesome set up.  RSS is a pretty nifty technology and you found a good way to leverage it.

I have been trying to listen to some sermons as a podcast but the church doesn't publish an rss feed so I hand coded my own xml file and hosted it on Google Drive in order to download them as podcasts. https://googledrive.com/host/0B_QuQw4qsVi4UHM5ZVpOMnV1UmM/home.html    Ofcourse my method means I have to hand code a new entry every time I want to add a file.

Is your script something you would be willing to share?  I completely understand if its not.

Sure.. let me take a look at it tomorrow and tidy up the code a bit.  Will PM you with details and hopefully it won't be too terrible.

kylejwx

That would be great. I really appreciate it.

kylejwx

That would be great. I really appreciate it.