RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
G. WadeTech

What do you use your Home Server for?

jmwills

And WHS is a Web Server too.

Jason

Does anyone know whether iHomeServer supports WSE12R2? It worked with R1. In R2, I install the add-in but it never adds a tab to the server dashboard.

GavinCampbell

Does anyone know whether iHomeServer supports WSE12R2? It worked with R1. In R2, I install the add-in but it never adds a tab to the server dashboard.

Same here.  However I only really access it through the desktop shortcut. Seems to work fine though otherwise.

You might want to hold out though.  There is a new version coming in a few weeks according to their website and the developer on episode 140 of BYOB podcast.

Jason

Thanks Gavin. Wasn't aware. For time being, I've just installed iTunes 11.4 x64 on my R2 box and maintain it via RDP. I tweeted Bizmodeller about R2. No response yet. I guess I'm curious how different R1 and R2 really are under the hood?

GavinCampbell

Thanks Gavin. Wasn't aware. For time being, I've just installed iTunes 11.4 x64 on my R2 box and maintain it via RDP. I tweeted Bizmodeller about R2. No response yet. I guess I'm curious how different R1 and R2 really are under the hood?

The rest of ihomeserver seems to work just fine though.  I still run it on the server and rdp in and launch it via the desktop shortcut to do what I need.  Seems to work fine.  Just no dashboard integration.

Drashna Jaelre

Does nobody host their own web server anymore? Perhaps we will see a resurgence as net neutrality continues to erode.

It would be helpful to know what (combination of) services are too demanding for these little boxes. That would help folks know whether or not to upgrade from Gen7 to Gen8 or [gasp!] business class. I picked up a second box in order to answer some of these questions without disrupting my home server availability.

https://drashna.net/blog/

I definitely do. :)

And I use the site to host ebooks via COPS, and reverse proxied Subsonic. 

But for a full list:

file server

web server

(soon) mail server

remote access server (Remote Desktop Gateway)

media server (subsonic)

VMs (HyperV)

IP camera server (BlueIris)

Certificate Authority (Domain Controller)

Download server (utorrent, sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato)

PXE server (Windows Deployment Services)

WSUS

Database server (mySQL, for blog, and for XBMC)

and there is something else I'm thinking of but cannot remember.

Also, I have an AMD FX 8120 CPU, and recently upgraded to 32GB of RAM as 16GB was not enough.

mythic.glyph

This thread did not come up in my search results for the words "private personal cloud". In fact, only a couple of threads were listed. Is nobody attempting to build their own home cloud? It takes the home media server to a whole other level. I can think of a few reasons why this would be desirable no matter how cheap (free?!) third-party cloud storage may be. If you've decided against it, I would be interested to learn why, especially if the reason is technical.

Edited by mythic.glyph

ikon

Perhaps you can describe how you think it would be useful.

jmwills

This thread did not come up in my search results for the words "private personal cloud". In fact, only a couple of threads were listed. Is nobody attempting to build their own home cloud? It takes the home media server to a whole other level. I can think of a few reasons why this would be desirable no matter how cheap (free?!) third-party cloud storage may be. If you've decided against it, I would be interested to learn why, especially if the reason is technical.

Be default the Remote Web Access feature built into WHS makes it a personal cloud device in my book.  Of course, you would have to add Server 2012 Essentials as well as 2012 Essentials R2.  The SBS SKU's were also also to some degree but the WHS / Essentials product lines are just to easy to configure and use right out of the box.

Drashna Jaelre

Install OwnCloud, or enable WebDAV publishing, and you get a much more "native" feel as well.