RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS V1 - HP EX490 system drive running hot warning

GabonPhil

Hello Home Server Show forum members,

Searched the forums but couldn't see an answer to this question. Apologies if it has been addressed previously.

StableBit Scanner is warning my WHS V1 - HP EX490 system drive running hot. I've tried to replace this old drive with a bigger one in the past but the rebuild fails, so I have learned to live with a smaller system drive.

The room is 22 degrees C and the EX490 drive cover door is open. There is an empty bay below the system drive. So plenty of cool air around it.

What might a slightly warmer HD signify?

Attached is a screen shot of the warning message.

Thanks in advance.

Phil.

2013-06-19a WHS V1 - HP EX490 system drive running hot.pdf 

IMHO, 56C is pretty hot for an HDD. I like to keep mine more in the 30s. Have you checked the system's cooling fan? Is it working? Properly? :)

A drive running hot could be an indication that the drive is failing. In particular, it could be an indication that the spindle bearings are wearing out.

Suspect you are right Icon.

Good to have some advance warning via StableBit Scanner.

Know it will be a hassle, but I will have to persevere with replacing the system drive.

Will be good to have 2TB rather than 500Gb in that bay too.

Thanks for the response.

Phil.

Break out the eggs.....you can fry up a whole lot at 56c!

I would try putting an external fan in front of the drive bays and force air through and see if it cools off.  If not, that drive is failing and is giving you ample warning.

Empty bay below the system drive? I was under the impression that the bays had to be populated from bottom to top - in order - starting with the system drive at the bottom?

Empty bay below the system drive? I was under the impression that the bays had to be populated from bottom to top - in order - starting with the system drive at the bottom?

Not that I'm aware of.

I have an EX490.  The bottom bay is the first boot device.

I imagine if the bottom bay is empty, it would move on until it found a bootable drive.

I agree about checking the system fan.  Those temps are way too hot for my liking.

Are any other drives being reported as hot?

As a reference, my ex490 is fully populated and all drives are currently sitting at 34C (max lifetime temp of 52C) as reported by Stablebit Scanner.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions.

Fan is working, somewhat dusty but definitely working.

My other drives are 44 and 42 degrees C, not as cool as Mr_Smartepants or ikon.

My system drive has since "cooled" to 52 C.

We are off on holiday next week, so I'll pick up a new 2 TB replacement drive on our travels.

Thanks forum members.

Phil.

They are standard 4" fans are they not? Wouldn't be that hard to "upgrade" them to better ones... Fans are not that expensive - certainly less than having a fried drive... or drives.

• 6 months later...

I switched to all 2tb red drives just for the heat. Works awesome! And I use 4 tb reds as non-pooled backup drives.

I was under the impression that the bottom bay had to have the system drive in it. Could that be why a recovery failed?

Goodluck.