RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running OS from P410 RAID array?

Guest Micco

The bigger question is not can you but should you.  There are many reasons not to run the OS on a raid.  Simplicity and portability for starters.   My suggestion is to use a small HD or two in a mirror and deal with you OS separately.

OKnow I know that the OS must be re-installed after the RAID have been configured.

Yesterday I was able to just switch back to the SATA connector on the motherboard in order to get the OS up and running again, I can't do this any longer and I haven't succeeded to solve the issue. Maybe the disk was reconfigured in somehow when I made the logical disk bootable in the offline utility.

Thanks for your input and your help!

I set up a P400 with two sets of four drives to do some testing. I ran Windows Server 2012 on a SATA drive connected to a port on the motherboard. When I finished my tests, I removed one set of four drives and I moved the Window Server 2012 drive to the first port on the P400. I rebooted and hit F8 created a logical drive RAID 0 with the single SATA drive. I put in my DVD to reinstall Windows Server 2012, but much to my surprise it booted from the drive! Everything I know about RAID controllers would tell me that should not work, but it did. Sorry to have misguided you, but It did work. Now the big question is why is it not working for you?

The bigger question is not can you but should you.  There are many reasons not to run the OS on a raid.  Simplicity and portability for starters.   My suggestion is to use a small HD or two in a mirror and deal with you OS separately.

Very valid point you don't gain anything by putting a single drive on a RAID controller. Even if you wanted to mirror a pair of drives you could do that in the OS if you wanted.

• Like 1

When you had the SSD on the SATA port running WS 2012 did WS 2012 see the P410 properly? Where you able to run the ACU software for Windows Server?

The reason I ask is if the drivers for the P410 are not loaded on the SATA drive prior to being moved to the P410, it wont boot when it is attached to the P410.

Guest Micco

When you had the SSD on the SATA port running WS 2012 did WS 2012 see the P410 properly? Where you able to run the ACU software for Windows Server?

The reason I ask is if the drivers for the P410 are not loaded on the SATA drive prior to being moved to the P410, it wont boot when it is attached to the P410.

Yes I successfully ran WS2012 when having the OS on a SSD drive connected to the motherboard. I was able to use drives connected to my P410 RAID controller and it was aldo possible to reach the RAID configuration via ORCA and the offline/online utilities from HP.

It may be so that Should have done somethin with my SSD drive in the config tools before connecting it to the P410.

Anyway I actually solved the issue by reinstalling the OS on my SSD drive after I connected it to the P410.

A fun test would be disconnecting the SSD drive from the P410 and reconnect it to the motherboard SATA connector again. Would that work?! :-)

......snip

A fun test would be disconnecting the SSD drive from the P410 and reconnect it to the motherboard SATA connector again. Would that work?! :-)

Probably yes it would.

John