RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running OS from P410 RAID array?

Guest Micco

Hi,

Is it possible to run Windows server on a logical disk on my HP Smart Array P410 RAID array?

I'm currenty using both mini-SAS connectors, the first cable is connected to four SATA HDD's, the second cable is connected only to one SSD disk.

I'm currently unable to boot the OS (Windows Server 2012), it works if I connect my SSD disk via the onboard SATA connector.

Regards,

Micco

Edited by Micco
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• jmwills

• jem101

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I set up a P400 with two sets of four drives to do some testing. I ran Windows Server 2012 on a SATA drive connected to a port on the motherboard. When I finished my tests, I removed one set of four d

jmwills

If the BIOS sees the SSD as a separate drive, then yes.  Just change/confirm the boot order to make the SSD first.

Guest Micco

If the BIOS sees the SSD as a separate drive, then yes.  Just change/confirm the boot order to make the SSD first.

No it seems to be a part of the P410 since it's connected to it and because I created a logical drive in the RAID array using RAID 0

jmwills

I guess you get to start over !!  :(   What sizes are the drives?  (All of them)

schoondoggy

No it seems to be a part of the P410 since it's connected to it and because I created a logical drive in the RAID array using RAID 0

The P410 does not have a JBOD/passthrough mode so to run a single drive on it you need to create a RAID0 with one drive, which it sounds like you did that. Did you set up the RAID0 in ORCA or the offline tool? Is the controller at the latest firmware?

Guest Micco

The P410 does not have a JBOD/passthrough mode so to run a single drive on it you need to create a RAID0 with one drive, which it sounds like you did that. Did you set up the RAID0 in ORCA or the offline tool? Is the controller at the latest firmware?

If ORCA is the same as pressing F8 while server boots up, then it was ORCA I used when creating the RAID 0 logical disk for my SSD disk.

I have also managed to create a bootable USB stick with the offline tool, but haven't found any good use for it.

schoondoggy

After you created the RAID0 did you try to install Windows Server on it?

On my P410 I have two drives in a RAID1 for the OS, WHS2011 and four drives in a RAID5 for data.

Guest Micco

Windows Server 2012 was installed on the SSD before I plugged it into my P410. I then opened ORCA and created a RAID 0 for the SSD disk.

Do I really need to reinstall the OS just because I added it to the P410?

schoondoggy

Windows Server 2012 was installed on the SSD before I plugged it into my P410. I then opened ORCA and created a RAID 0 for the SSD disk.

Do I really need to reinstall the OS just because I added it to the P410?

I am not sure, I assume when you create a RAID0 and a logical drive in ORCA that the previous data was overwritten. Can you plug the SSD back on the SATA port to see if it still boots?

When you set the RAID0 did you create a logical drive as well?

Guest Micco

I am not sure, I assume when you create a RAID0 and a logical drive in ORCA that the previous data was overwritten. Can you plug the SSD back on the SATA port to see if it still boots?

When you set the RAID0 did you create a logical drive as well?

The OS successfully boot up if I reconnect the SSD back to the onboard SATA connector.

Yes I created a logical drive with RAID 0 in ORCA.

Hmmm, booting OS from my SSD disk wasn't that easy I first thought...