RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Comcast Is Turning Homes Into Public Wi-Fi Hotspots

ikon

I hear you. The last thing I need is strangers chewing up ANY of my limited bandwidth. IF my ISP could guarantee my internet connection would not be negatively impacted in any way, then maybe. That said, people would have a heck of a time getting a decent connection to a wireless router in my house, since the router is buried down in the basement, and I have no intention of moving it. :)

cskenney

It's only other Comcast customers and not the entire public. Yes they are sharing your bandwidth but what you don't know is if the bandwidth throttling is independently controlled or not. Plus, cable Internet customers already share bandwidth on the main trunk lines in their neighborhood.

Biggest issue I see is them charging a rental fee and them gaining a benefit from it.

revengineer

Is the ip address shared? Who gets the six strike notice if someone starts tormenting like crazy over my public access point?

ikon

The fact that cable customers like me are already sharing bandwidth with neighbours is one of the reasons I wouldn't want strangers using my connection: it just adds to the load on the cable for the whole neighbourhood. Mind you, once cable hits a main street it's not bad because those are all fibre. It's the part in between that's the issue.

Interesting that only Comcast customers can use the wireless. I guess there's some sense to that.

cskenney

Interesting reading in the actual Comcast announcement http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-unveils-plans-for-millions-of-xfinity-wifi-hotspots-through-its-home-based-neighborhood-hotspot-initiative-2

Is the ip address shared? Who gets the six strike notice if someone starts tormenting like crazy over my public access point?

The hotspots are not open to the public.  Only Comcast Xfinity customers will be able to access them.  The customer will need to log in with username and passwords.

A final quote from the Comcast announcement.

Comcast has increased Internet speeds for its customers 11 times, most recently doubling two of its most popular Xfinity Internet speed plans, Blast! and Extreme 50, for no additional cost across the company’s entire footprint.

I have seen other forums members recently talking about how their broadband connection just jumped up without notice and no additional cost.  I realize that some of us don't have the huge bandwidth pipelines that others have.  I for one would not want any additional load on my connection but then again I have 2Mbps down and 1Mbps up.

ikon

Agreed. I would add that, as technology continues to improve, our connection speeds should increase without additional cost. If anything, and in line with other technological trends, our costs should go down, and the speeds should also increase. Why should our internet connections be an exception to what happens in virtually every other tech field?

jmwills

Not in my house!!

ikon

Not in my house!!

Hey, you kids, get offa my lawn! :D

jmwills

When Did you go by my house?