RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
kaelken

Network problem on my N36L

kaelken

Hi all,

I have run into an odd problem on my Hp microserver model N36L.

For some reason, the folders that I have shared to my homegroup, seems to become unavailable when some time passes. 

I have not been able to find an exact patter in this. 

I can generally get it respond again, if I remote desktop to the server and then access a folder on the network.

The problem is that I have an apple tv 2 connected to it, and when the folders become unavailable, I need to restart the server, for the apple tv 2 to be able to see the folders again.

Do you guys have any idea what could be my problem here ? 

p.s I am running a normal win 7 installation, since I am a little new to setting up this server. 

Hope you guys can help. 

Thanks a lot.

Kaelken.

jmwills

There is a setting on the NIC to save power.  Go to Network Connections>Right Click the Adapter and go to Properties>Configure>Power management Tab and see if that box is checked.  If so, uncheck it.

kaelken

I have that box unchecked. 

Although you say that it is a setting on the NIC ?

My network card is a Broadcom Netxtreme gigabit Ethernet ? Am I using a wrong driver on this ? 

jmwills

What OS?  You mentioned Win7, is the OS allowed to sleep?

If the NIC is working, leave the driver alone....

kaelken

im using win 7, and I have changed the power plan so it shouldnt be able to sleep. 

I found a new network driver that I have just updated too, to see if that fixes the problem.

jmwills

What did the update say it fixed?

jem101

Thanks for posting that, the solution is quite interesting and not something I knew about as I'd never tried to use Windows 7 (or any other desktop OS) for long term file serving.

It does illustrate a very important point though, if you want a machine to act as a proper server, then use a proper server OS. It might look similar to a desktop OS but all sorts of stuff is different under the hood.

ikon

What jem101 said. For $50 or less you can get WHS2011 and get rid of these issues.