RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Potential external storage options for Gen8 MicroServer discussion

schoondoggy

The loss of the ODD bay on the Gen8 MicroServer limits some of the previous 'mods' to adding storage. During the BETA phase of the Gen8 MS there were rumors of an additional storage module, I assume 4 x 3.5" bays, that would stack on the G8 MS. The P222 Smart array controller is listed as an option, this would give a SFF-8088 connector, 4 SAS ports external to the server. The new G8 is 9.15"h x 9.05"w x 9.65"d, theoretically an enclosure of that size could have room for 4 x 5.25" bays and a power supply. In this type of enclosure you could install a 4 x 3.5" cage and a 4 x 2.5" cage.

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=50

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114

You could drive these 8 external drives with a RAID controller like; RR2722 or HP P421 or a SAS HBA.

The market for the G8 MS is obviously SMB, Home Server and tech enthusiast.

Do you think there will be demand for external storage?

If so, would you want an enclosure exactly the same size as the new G8 MS that could stack with the new server?

If you are running external storage enclosures on a MicroServer today, what kind are they? What is the connection?

Just curious to see what this community thinks.

• Like 1

4x4TB gives you a whole lot of storage.  How much do you really need?  I know of commercial environments that don't have that much storage.

4x4TB gives you a whole lot of storage.  How much do you really need?  I know of commercial environments that don't have that much storage.

Well 4x4TB is only 8TB if you run a RAID-Z2 type system.  I personally want to try to setup a 6x4TB using RAID-Z2 so I would have 16TB of space and can survive two drives failing in the array.

But I too would be interested in hearing about some decent external storage enclosures and they don't have to be just in the context of the Gen 8 Microserver.  Since I have the Gen7 :)

Well 4x4TB is only 8TB if you run a RAID-Z2 type system.  I personally want to try to setup a 6x4TB using RAID-Z2 so I would have 16TB of space and can survive two drives failing in the array.

But I too would be interested in hearing about some decent external storage enclosures and they don't have to be just in the context of the Gen 8 Microserver.  Since I have the Gen7 :)

I didn't say it was a bad idea, just step back and look at the environment.  Your 6x4TB does not address backups so the more you cram into these little boxes means the more you need to backup.  Any form of RAID is not a backup.

Another reason I built a beefier home server. 8 x 3 TB in RAID6 with a hardware RAID controller plus a core i5 for video encoding. Runs cool. Centralized storage but I can see the benefit of one of these micro boxes for moderate needs. I loved even my HP Mediasmart EX485 but outgrew it in months.

I didn't say it was a bad idea, just step back and look at the environment.  Your 6x4TB does not address backups so the more you cram into these little boxes means the more you need to backup.  Any form of RAID is not a backup.

All well and good on backups.  But that isn't what I'm interested in for the context of this particular discussion.  I'm interested in external storage options like the original poster.

I understand that.  At this point, most of us either have N54's or N40's or some type of NAS device that can suffice.  Just don't overlook the obvious.

On my current WHS2011 I'm running 2 Lian-Li EX-503 enclosures, connected to the server via USB3. They hold up to 5x3.5" HDDs and run very cool, and very quiet.

You are correct sir. It has a JMicron controller that provides RAID 0, 1, 5, Spanned, and JBOD. I'm using JBOD on the box and the JMicron Manager app on WHS2011 to span the drives together.