RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problem creating a USB recovery key for client restore

Lurker

I have been trying to create usb keys for my client computers but whs 2011 refuses to detect my USB flash drives. I have remoted in as an admin and the os recognizes it and shows it in the drives section but the wizard does not give me the option to select the drive.

Here is what i have done so far to try and work around the issue. I have tried putting the usb key in other usb slots with the same results. I reformatted the keys to ntfs from fat 32 with same results. Anyone ran into this issue.

I have been using the san disk cruzer type drives and they are not the ones with the u3 stuff installed on them.

Are you using the Recovery Key option from the Computers and Backups section of the WHS2011 Console?

Yes, where else would that option be in whs 2011?

Nowhere else; just wanted to ensure we're on the same page.

How many different types/makes/models of USB Flash Drives have you tried -- only the Cruzers? In my experience, this makes the biggest difference as to whether it will work or not. I've had very good luck with the Kingston GT101 series.

One other thing you might try: use DiskPart to clean the USB Flash Drive: see if a completely unformatted/unpartitioned Cruzer will work better.