RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup strategy suggestions?

ChrisCowles

Now that I know that, and the fact that I can backup to CrashPlan directly from the pool, I'm more confident with my plan. I'll backup only the OS using Windows Server Backup. That's a small drive so I can recycle an older drive by putting it in an external enclosure.

Does the server backup create separate copies each time? Or it is just a single copy, with incremental additions? The current OS size being only ~30GB, how much would I need?

All data, including client backups, will be in DrivePool, and duplicated. I have a lot of space so including the client backups in the pool isn't costing me anything.

Since the pool drive appears to CrashPlan as a drive letter, I'll create a directory in the pool to use as a CrashPlan storage directory. That addresses the floating laptop that I backup with CrashPlan to the server.

I'll backup the entire pool to CrashPlan online, as my off-site backup.

Why not? Am I missing something? I'm aware of file lock conflicts but those can be avoided by scheduling CrashPlan around the client backup window.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

Chris

It is not really a file lock issue but rather a practicality and bandwidth concern.  The backup files are large so will consume significant time and bandwidth (at least when I tried it).  Remember also that you will need to transfer the whole thing back (all versions) to do a restore.  You are better off bare metal on your local and critical files to the cloud.  Just my two cents.  Data is irreplaceable but a re-install is just and inconvenience that often.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• ChrisCowles

• jem101

• jmwills

jmwills

Windows Server backups are incremental, when the target volume on which you are doing the backups starts to run low on space, the oldest incremental backups are deleted. It is fairly fire-and-forget.

I don't know that I would classify the backups as incremental in the purest form.  To restore from an incremental you would need the last full backup plus all incrementals since the last full backup.  To restore form WHS, you select the targeted backup by date and restore.

At best it is a hybrid solution.

Isn't it kinda better than a pure incremental system? As jmwills stated, with a 'real incremental strategy' you have to restore the base and then apply the incremental updates. Windows Server Backup seems to use an incremental strategy, but gives you the added convenience of only having to pick the desired date and it takes care of restoring the base and applying the incrementals.

As far as I'm aware it is a sort of incremental backup except the Server Backup utility hides all of the nonsense of having to restore a full backup followed by an arbitrary number of differentials. To the end user it just looks like a set of full backups.

I wonder if the underlying technology is similar to that used for differencing disks in Hyper-V?

ChrisCowles

Learning here that it's impractical to back up the client backups to CrashPlan, that I can back up directly from the pool to CrashPlan, and that server backup supports bare metal restore, I rearranged the backups to my satisfaction. I haven't organized backup of critical workstation files yet (in addition to WHS client backups) but will do that as time allows. I plan to do that selective backup from the workstations to a shared destination on the server using CrashPlan Free, then backup that content on the server to CrashPlan+. Being unlimited data from one machine, I can do it all on one CrashPlan+ account

The result of this is immediate access to client backups on the server, secondary protection of that data using server backup, and remote storage of all data on the server, plus remote storage of critical workstation files. It doesn't involve swapping disks, and that's okay with me. I'm still exposed to loss of the local hard drive used to back up the server but, at worst, I'll have to reinstall from scratch.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Chris

yeah, but just remember, you would have to lose both the local boot drive AND the local server backup drive to completely lose the boot image. As soon as 1 of them fails, replace it quickly and you should once again be back to having both in good shape. The odds of actually having to reinstall from scratch are pretty low I would say. You real vulnerability is a disaster like a flood, tornado, theft, vandalism, etc.

ChrisCowles

I understand the low likelihood of losing both the boot drive and the server backup. That's why I'm comfortable as is.

Disaster is covered by CrashPlan. Downloading the backup would take forever, but it wouldn't be lost.

Thanks for your help.