RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

Remote WS2012e client PCs (that skipped domain join during install) can't surf after Update Rollup 2, here's the fix

tinkererguy

Well, UR2 is now installed on my server, and my client PCs, but I had to re-do my DNS workaround:

TinkerTry.com/ws2012e-dns-fix

just like I had to with Feb 2013's UR1. Not a big deal, but a bit of a time waster.

I recorded my installation of UR2 on the server, and on a Windows 7 client, and the fix for DNS, at:

TinkerTry.com/update-rollup-2-windows-server-2012-essentials

jmwills

So UR2 breaks the workaround?

Jason

Yes. UR2 resets the LAN service on each client that installed the connector update. UR2 also affects DirectAccess. A client previously connected via DA tunnel must be brought back onto the LAN and connector must be uninstalled and reinstalled to reset the Group Policy before it can be taken outside of the LAN.

Question: from your WS2012E boxes, what happens if you browse to http://yourservername/connect? Does it show the connector download page?

Poppapete

I am totally confused. I have all my clients (w8) connected to the essentials server using the "skipdomainjoin". I have downloaded & rebooted both server and clients after the June Tuesday update release. I had no issues except I cannot connect to a financial websites java plugin.The it guys there have been working for 3 days to find the problem.

Now, after reading this thread I go to my network connections and discover I am not connected to the internet via my enabled Intel 82579V NIC but via the virtual switch set up by Hyper-V when I installed a virtual Win7 OS. The status of the Intel Gigabyte NIC is IPv4 = Not Connected. I don't know how long this has been the case but the hyper-v has been setup for about 3 months. Paul B, is this a problem and should I be concerned?

jmwills

One of the updates pushed this last week was causing issues with WIN8 clients in general.

Poppapete

One of the updates pushed this last week was causing issues with WIN8 clients in general.

Do you think this may be causing the java plug in problem I am having? The IT guys told me that most of their customers are still using XP. They have quite a few on W7 and hardly any with W8.  I guess I just didn't realize how the enterprise community stays way behind but safe!

jmwills

Did you go through the second half of the skip domain setup?  The part where you disable the LAN Config Service.

Poppapete

Did you go through the second half of the skip domain setup?  The part where you disable the LAN Config Service.

Don't remember anything about disabling config service.  I just  implemented the MS "SkipDomainJoin" registry hack to each W8 client before running the connector. I know that this may alter the network settings on the clients as regards DNS requests. But I have never had any problem accessing the internet from any of the clients!

jmwills

When you do http://servername/connect from the WS2012E itself via RDP, what page should come up?

it should tell you to go to the computer you wish to join to the domain.