RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

DanielN

Fan speed is 24% and I left the B120i alone as factory default, so it should be in RAID.  It's running my OS drive.

ikon

The more I read about these fan issues, the more I think HP should have included a manual override option, perhaps with a warning light and/or an automatic shutdown it the mobo temp gets too hot.

psikey

Fan speed is 24% and I left the B120i alone as factory default, so it should be in RAID.  It's running my OS drive.

From my findings, so long as you use a drive on the B120i in RAID mode it seems to keep the fan below the 38% level. Just using the B120i for all 5 drives (one SSD) it stays around 7% which is perfect (but no RAID5). I'm not using the P222/512 card again until I need to by which time the fan/iLO4 issues may have been fixed (still OK for storage space with RAID10 at the moment).

Edited by psikey

ikon

Sounds like a reasonable interim plan...

psikey

My Xeon E3-1265LV2 45W arrived today and as others have reported works perfectly. When idling fan still stays at 6% and only pulling same 45w with RAID10 on the B120i. Fan went to 10% when transcoding even though CPU temp still not moving from 40C in iLO. 

Massive improvement and easily noticeable when Plex transcoding as CPU is still hardly doing anything.

Will look at re-fitting the P222/512 RAID card when the fan issues have been resolved by HP.

Edited by psikey
  • Like 2

psikey

Just done a 2hr Prime 64 run with the Xeon E3-1265LV2 45W and fan holding at 26% at 20C ambient as reported by iLO4 with CPU holding at 56C. Amazing little chip for such power considering only a 35W rated passive cooler in the G8 Microserver. 

Total power draw at socket with CPU flat out 97w. PSU showing highest temp at 66C (88C Caution level).

Edited by psikey
  • Like 2

Joe_Miner

My Xeon E3-1265LV2 45W arrived today and as others have reported works perfectly. When idling fan still stays at 6% and only pulling same 45w with RAID10 on the B120i. Fan went to 10% when transcoding even though CPU temp still not moving from 40C in iLO. 

Massive improvement and easily noticeable when Plex transcoding as CPU is still hardly doing anything.

Will look at re-fitting the P222/512 RAID card when the fan issues have been resolved by HP.

Just done a 2hr Prime 64 run with the Xeon E3-1265LV2 45W and fan holding at 26% at 20C ambient as reported by iLO4 with CPU holding at 56C. Amazing little chip for such power considering only a 35W rated passive cooler in the G8 Microserver. 

Total power draw at socket with CPU flat out 97w. PSU showing highest temp at 66C (88C Caution level).

Excellent PsiKey!!  This is so COOL!

Thank you

ikon

Nice work psikey, and very reasonable temps considering the load.

psikey

Nice work psikey, and very reasonable temps considering the load.

And that's with it located in my fish tank cabinet :)

20130918_201400_zpscfae7d9f.jpg

cpsimit

I can't seem to find many places that stock the E3-1265Lv2 here in the UK. And the one or two I have found seem to cost abit more compared to the E3-1230v2. I guess the the problem with the latter though is higher temps.