RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

FiLiNuX

That would be shady if they don't let you get the cash back if you order both at the same time.  Almost as shady as not giving EVERYONE the cashback offers :) 

Just when I thought I was over the fear of being told to "GO GET A SWITCH!" 

Joe_Miner

Links updated & CPU benchmark table updated.

bluedust

For UK People the cheapest I found for this server was from http://www.ballicom.co.uk @ £342.13 (inc VAT) opted for the free 7 day delivery and actually got it in 3 days. Also ordered the Intel
Xeon E3-1230V2 & KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G and the cheapest i found was from www.cclonline.com with free delivery @ £254.64 also got £6 cashback via Quidco ! it all helps !!. Also ordered a 
LiteOn DS-8A8SH for my slim DVDRW Drive from ebuyer.com for £21.49.

You also cannot get the HP PS1810-8G for love or money in the UK yet, It's preorder from everyone.

Thanks.

Dabs.com have the switch in stock 

http://www.dabs.com/products/hp-ps1810-8g-switch-8XDJ.html?q=PS1810-8G&src=16

DanielN
So Best Buy has the HP 120 GB v300 SSD on clearance in store for $79.99 (US) so I picked up one to put in the ODD bay of the server:
3r0d.jpg
It comes with a 3.5" adapter to hold the SSD in 3.5 inch bays and slides in nicely if you remove the ODD bay cover and slide it in from the inside and then reattach the ODD bay cover.  It also has a screwdriver, SATA cable and USB 3.0 external case with USB cable.

Make sure you upgrade the drive Firmware to 5.0.7 from here.  Unfortunately the firmware tool doesn't work with the B120i controller, so I had to do it from another computer.

Then I used the Intelligent Provisioning and installed Windows Server 2012 without any problems.

From the SSD Review:Just as we saw in 07/08 with the first Samsung/Corsair partnership, PNY will be manufacturing solid state drives under HP branding that are remarkably similar to that marketed by PNY, up to and including PNY’s exclusive 3K/5K endurance commitment which has yet to be seen from other SSD manufacturers. And just why would new like this be at the LSI AIS you might ask? Just as each and every PNY SSD is now, the new HP v300 and v500 series will be LSI SandForce Driven and capable of those blazing 550MB/s read and 520MB/s write top of the industry performance numbers.  The V300 has a 3 year warranty with its 3K guarantee while the v500 has a 5 year warranty with is 5K guarantee.

Edited by DanielN
  • Like 1

bluedust

This blog verifies that the  Xeon E3-1230 V2 (69W) works; I know this have been verified already, but it is nice to have multiple sources

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

This blog verifies that the  Xeon E3-1230 V2 (69W) works; I know this have been verified already, but it is nice to have multiple sources

Thanks BlueDust!  Confirmation is always a good thing :)

Joe_Miner

So Best Buy has the HP 120 GB v300 SSD on clearance in store for $79.99 (US) so I picked up one to put in the ODD bay of the server:
3r0d.jpg
It comes with a 3.5" adapter to hold the SSD in 3.5 inch bays and slides in nicely if you remove the ODD bay cover and slide it in from the inside and then reattach the ODD bay cover.  It also has a screwdriver, SATA cable and USB 3.0 external case with USB cable.

Make sure you upgrade the drive Firmware to 5.0.7 from here.  Unfortunately the firmware tool doesn't work with the B120i controller, so I had to do it from another computer.

Then I used the Intelligent Provisioning and installed Windows Server 2012 without any problems.

Thanks DanielN!  Welcome to the Forums!  When you get a chance be sure to introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/page-1

Looking forward to hearing more about your nice setup.

DanielN

So I put in 16 GB of ram using the Kingston KVR16E11/8 and not the KVR16E11/8I (the 8I goes through an additional round of testing to make sure it's Intel Compatible) and it works fine, but supposedly both part # comes from the same manufacturing line.  I decided to save the $5 (for not choosing the I) on each DIMM and it works no problems.  I also added a HP Smart Array P410 with 512mb battery-backed cache and it works fine as well.

ikon

Good news. Glad to hear it.

psikey

So I put in 16 GB of ram using the Kingston KVR16E11/8 and not the KVR16E11/8I (the 8I goes through an additional round of testing to make sure it's Intel Compatible) and it works fine, but supposedly both part # comes from the same manufacturing line.  I decided to save the $5 (for not choosing the I) on each DIMM and it works no problems.  I also added a HP Smart Array P410 with 512mb battery-backed cache and it works fine as well.

What's your fan speed like (whats it show in ILO4) and how have you left the B120i setting (Legacy/RAID/AHCI)?