RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

wil1972

For the UK audience: serversplus.com have the 1610T for £293 + VAT with a HP deal of the 8 port switch for free (via cashback)

Has anyone tried a sandybridge i3 / i5 in this box yet?

ignore the i5 - forgot that the i5 has ECC crippled.

overcoat
There's a new BIOS out. HP say it's a critical fix but the repro for the Intel processor bug is pretty specific

This issue affects Intel Xeon Processor 3400/5500/5600/7500 Series and Intel Xeon Processor E3/E5/E7 Families.

Plus:

The following operating environment is required to expose the server to this issue and HP strongly recommends immediate application of the System ROM update described in the Resolution section below :

• Server operating in a virtualized environment
  • Intel Virtualization Technology (VT) enabled
  • Intel VT FlexPriority Enabled (this functionality is enabled or disabled by the Hypervisor)
  • Intel Hyperthreading Enabled
  • Extended Page Tables Enabled (this functionality is enabled or disabled by the Hypervisor)
  • Guest operating system using 32-bit PAE Paging Mode

IMPORTANT: This issue does not affect virtualized environments utilizing only 64-bit guest operating systems.

Version:    2013.08.24 (A) (14 Aug 2013)

Enhancements/New Features:
Added the latest product names of optional expansion cards and updated language translations (for non-English modes) in the ROM-Based Setup Utility (RBSU).

Added support to allow industry standard utilities to display the operating voltage of installed DIMMs as well as the minimum and maximum voltage supported by installed DIMMs. This System ROM revision supports newly defined industry standard fields in the industry standard SMBIOS tables. Utilities to display this information may not yet be available.

Added support to allow industry standard utilities to display the HP DIMM Part Number for HP SmartMemory DIMMs. This information will also be displayed in the HP iLO GUI interface when using an updated revision of iLO Firmware.

Problems Fixed:
Addressed a processor issue under which a rare and complex sequence of internal processor microarchitecture events that occur in specific operating environments could cause a server system to experience unexpected page faults, general protection faults, or machine check exceptions or other unpredictable system behavior. While all processors supported by this server have this issue, to be affected by this issue the server must be operating in a virtualized environment, have Intel Hyperthreading enabled, have a hypervisor that enables Intel VT FlexPriority and Extended Page Tables, and have a guest OS utilizing 32-bit PAE Paging Mode. This issue is not unique to HP ProLiant servers and could impact any system utilizing affected processors operating with the conditions listed above. This revision of the System ROM contains an updated version of Intel's microcode that addresses this issue. Due to the potential severity of the issue addressed in this revision of the System ROM, this System ROM upgrade is considered a critical fix.

Addressed an issue where the system experienced unexpected system behavior or report ACPI issues through the OS boot logs (such as Linux DMESG) when IOMMU was enabled in a virtualized operating system environment.

Addressed an issue where Linux Operating Systems reported the following message: ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address Range, in the Linux DMESG log.

Addressed an issue where the server's Legacy USB support would not properly report the drive capacity of a USB Drive Key that was larger than 8GB resulting in an inability to boot USB Drive Keys larger than 8 GB.

Addressed an issue where the system may not be able to properly execute the HP SmartStart Scripting Toolkit (SSSTK) under Linux based Operating Systems. In some cases, executing the HP SSSTK would result in a segfault error message being reported by the Linux kernel.

Known Issues:
None

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Thanks OverCoat! 

Panda666uk
For UK People the cheapest I found for this server was from http://www.ballicom.co.uk @ £342.13 (inc VAT) opted for the free 7 day delivery and actually got it in 3 days. Also ordered the Intel

Xeon E3-1230V2 & KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G and the cheapest i found was from www.cclonline.com with free delivery @ £254.64 also got £6 cashback via Quidco ! it all helps !!. Also ordered a 

LiteOn DS-8A8SH for my slim DVDRW Drive from ebuyer.com for £21.49.

You also cannot get the HP PS1810-8G for love or money in the UK yet, It's preorder from everyone.

Thanks.

Edited by Panda666uk

cpsimit

For UK People the cheapest I found for this server was from http://www.ballicom.co.uk @ £342.13 (inc VAT) opted for the free 7 day delivery and actually got it in 3 days. Also ordered the Intel
Xeon E3-1230V2 & KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G and the cheapest i found was from www.cclonline.com with free delivery @ £254.64 also got £6 cashback via Quidco ! it all helps !!. Also ordered a 
LiteOn DS-8A8SH for my slim DVDRW Drive from ebuyer.com for £21.49.

You also cannot get the HP PS1810-8G for love or money in the UK yet, It's preorder from everyone.

Thanks.

This!

I don't see the point of the cashback offer HP have on in the UK for the Gen8 when you can't even get hold of the switch.

ikon

I don't understand why you think the switch has to be available in order for HP to have a promotion discount on the server. Most people will never get the switch anyway. Why do the 2 have to be linked for discounts?

cpsimit

I don't understand why you think the switch has to be available in order for HP to have a promotion discount on the server. Most people will never get the switch anyway. Why do the 2 have to be linked for discounts?

Are you being serious?

The promotion is based of purchasing the PS1810-8G switch and a Gen8 Microserver to get £109 cashback, yet neither HP Direct or any HP reseller stock the switch.

ikon

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not in the UK and wasn't aware that the promo required buying both products together. Your complaint makes sense now. So, can you order the MicroServer and pre-order the switch and get the discount?

Thanks again for clarifying.

cpsimit

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not in the UK and wasn't aware that the promo required buying both products together. Your complaint makes sense now. So, can you order the MicroServer and pre-order the switch and get the discount?

Thanks again for clarifying.

What's worse is that the offer is only valid until the first week in September, yet the pre-order's for the switch say to expect stock within two to three weeks. Great timing... 

ikon

Hopefully, vendors will allow you to pre-order the switch at the same time you order a MicroServer and get the promotional discount. After all, you are ordering both items at the same time -- not your fault they can't deliver...