RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

Gen8Master

Yes that's right, the USB 3.0 and SD slot are pretty cool and open up some interesting scenarios.    The Matrox is actually embedded in the iLO chip.   There's no way to route the Intel chipset graphics.   You can, of course, use a graphics card in the slot (it's a x16), but you will loose the remote graphical console capability that is enabled by the iLO Essentials or Advanced licenses.

Thanks for the info gstarks, which leads me to another question I really hope you can help me out with

I wanted to use the Gen8 microserver for a CCTV security system running over wired and wireless network. I intend to use around 6 IP cameras. Since there is no encoding involved, I thought the server would easily be able to store the streamed data to disks. At the same time I want to plug a monitor to the server to be able to view some of the camera streams. Would the Matrox GPU be able to handle this??

Also, can an x16 GPU be used for the monitor while the matrox is used for remote console at the same time?

Edited by Gen8Master

ikon

Gen8Master, not to be a party pooper on your idea to use a MicroServer as a security system DVR but, as someone who has some involvement with the industry, I have to say that the best value for video security systems these days is to buy a pre-packages one. Costco and others have them, and they're available online at tons of places. They come complete with cameras, a multi-channel DVR, and often cabling is included. They are way cheaper than buying individual cameras, DVR software, cabling, etc., and the quality can be very good.

gstarks

Thanks for the info gstarks, which leads me to another question I really hope you can help me out with

I wanted to use the Gen8 microserver for a CCTV security system running over wired and wireless network. I intend to use around 6 IP cameras. Since there is no encoding involved, I thought the server would easily be able to store the streamed data to disks. At the same time I want to plug a monitor to the server to be able to view some of the camera streams. Would the Matrox GPU be able to handle this??

Also, can an x16 GPU be used for the monitor while the matrox is used for remote console at the same time?

As far as performance goes, i don't have any data.  However, as far as getting both the Matrox and second video card working together AND still have iLO remote console... YES, you can do this.. I just tested it with an NVS 300 in the x16 slot.   You have to set the embedded video as primary in the BIOS and the PCIe as secondary.  It's under Advanced Options/Video Options.

The image here is me connected via iLO - of course i can only see the matrox screen.  Which is fine during boot, and also fine with windows (assuming you have iLO Essentials or Advanced license) as long as you have windows setup to use the matrox as the primary screen.    If you set the PCIe card as the primary in windows, and assuming your mode is "Extended" when you remotely access the system, you will still see the graphics from the Matrox, but the mouse is really moving around the windows primary screen even though it looks like is on the matrox - so you have to be careful with clicks.   Some windows-key stuff still works so maybe you could use powershell to change to "duplicate" mode while you were in your remote session.

iLO with 2 video cards.png

• Like 1

ikon

Man, that is kind of a crazy scenario.

Gen8Master

Gen8Master, not to be a party pooper on your idea to use a MicroServer as a security system DVR but, as someone who has some involvement with the industry, I have to say that the best value for video security systems these days is to buy a pre-packages one. Costco and others have them, and they're available online at tons of places. They come complete with cameras, a multi-channel DVR, and often cabling is included. They are way cheaper than buying individual cameras, DVR software, cabling, etc., and the quality can be very good.

Hey Ikon. Thank you for the info but I have already considered this. Basically a company offered to setup a DVR system but wanted to charge around 4 grand for an incredibly crappy system. Another one of our clients purchased this same system with incredibly bad results concerning quality, browsing of the footage and storage. They had thefts where the system was useless in providing any significant info, and I concluded that a computer/server with remote access to the security system is essential since the place is short staffed with no technical background. We also need multiple monitors onsite for monitoring. Even if I could get such a system for under £1000, we will require a server for remote access to the feeds.

I recon a microserver with several terabytes of space, remote access, iLO and a mix of wired and wireless cameras will be perfect. I calculated the whole system will cost around 1000 GBP. The question was if the microserver and network can handle this? I dont think it will be a problem since QNAP advertise their NAS servers can handle 8 IP cameras with low powered atom and maxwell CPUs. I also plan to distribute the traffic over wired, and dual band wifi networks.

Let me know what you think.

As far as performance goes, i don't have any data.  However, as far as getting both the Matrox and second video card working together AND still have iLO remote console... YES, you can do this.. I just tested it with an NVS 300 in the x16 slot.   You have to set the embedded video as primary in the BIOS and the PCIe as secondary.  It's under Advanced Options/Video Options.

The image here is me connected via iLO - of course i can only see the matrox screen.  Which is fine during boot, and also fine with windows (assuming you have iLO Essentials or Advanced license) as long as you have windows setup to use the matrox as the primary screen.    If you set the PCIe card as the primary in windows, and assuming your mode is "Extended" when you remotely access the system, you will still see the graphics from the Matrox, but the mouse is really moving around the windows primary screen even though it looks like is on the matrox - so you have to be careful with clicks.   Some windows-key stuff still works so maybe you could use powershell to change to "duplicate" mode while you were in your remote session.

attachicon.gifiLO with 2 video cards.png

Thanks for the info. Sounds great :)

laemen

Ordered a Gen8 with E3-1265V2. Lower TDP than the E3-1230V3 and with the Turbo (and the 1230 turbo disabled) I was hoping for comparable performance.

Also currently I run a N36L with 8GB, SSD and 4 HDD. Fedora for main services (netatalk, smb, Plex, Apache, MySQL etc.) and 2 Win7 x64 in VMPlayer. I use VNC to launch a user x-session keeping it open. No monitor on the device itself. Also have the RAC, but find it too cumbersome to work reliably through NAT and external firewalls.

Was hoping to get better graphics with the 1265V2 as I run Win7 in VMPlayer in Fedora Gnome on VNC Server :) Seems like the matrox needs to do it though.

Anyone knows the performance comparison of the Gen8 Matrox vs. the N36L? (could I run Aero?)

Joe_Miner

I updated/added some links on the 1st page.

Joe_Miner

Some more updates added..............

wil1972

For the UK audience: serversplus.com have the 1610T for £293 + VAT with a HP deal of the 8 port switch for free (via cashback)

Has anyone tried a sandybridge i3 / i5 in this box yet?

Edited by wil1972
  • Like 1

Joe_Miner

For the UK audience: serversplus.com have the 1610T for £293 + VAT with a HP deal of the 8 port switch for free (via cashback)

Has anyone tried a sandybridge i3 / i5 in this box yet?

Hi Wil1972!  Wow!  That is some deal at Serversplus.com -- I'll put them in the links page!

There are a number of 1155 chips that in theory should do well in the Gen8 but so far we've only gotten confirmation of the Xeon's listed in First page and message #8 of the Thread http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/?p=62204

Edited by Joe_Miner