RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

sorted

I did another run for 30 min with Prime95 E3-1265LV2 with TB disabled. I re-installed the heatsink with Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste after a good cleanup with Artic Silver ArtiClean and Surface Purifier using this instruction. http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

The figures I got are:

@IDLE

iLO4

Intake=23C

FAN=14%

CPU=40C

RealTemp

Cores MIN= 32C - 32C - 35C - 35C

Cores MAX= 40C - 40C - 43C - 43C

@Full Load (Prime95 InPlace Large FFT's - Torture Test)

iLO4

Intake=24C

FAN=13% to 14%

CPU=60C

RealTemp

Cores MIN= 46C - 52C - 52C -52C

Cores MAX= 77C - 82C - 84C - 82C

So...In my opinion there is to much difference between iLO and RealTemp...as much as 24C @ full load. It's all within thresholds though. Also the difference between core 0 and the other 3 cores... i've seen that on my Intel i7 (6 core) as well. I would not mind if the fan kicked in sooner to say @ 30/40% and keep the cpu @ 60C+ rather than 80C+.

@psikey and microsvr. I'm curios what your readings are when using RealTemp (or any other CPU temp tool).

Edited by sorted

psikey

I installed a Xeon E3-1265LV2. I ran Prime95 with Turbo Boost dis-abled. I get 42C/120F in iLO. RealTemp shows me 76C, 74C, 74C and 70 on the four cores. The higest being 78C in RealTemp and 55C in iLO

Question is. What is more accurate?

I believe iLO4 shows the case temp while RealTemp shows each core temp so two different measures.

Also see here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6170-active-cpu-cooling-for-the-gen8/#entry69784

Edited by psikey

sorted

Thnx for the pointer psikey.

Fan is now running @ 70% after changing the bios settings to "maximum cooling". Temp max. was 60C with Prime95 on just one core (others 52C to 58C) and that's imo excellent for a passive cooler. Except for the fan noise. It's not as loud as a ProLiant DL series but to much for putting it on ones desk.

Second run with bios setting to "increased cooling" the fan was running @ 39/41% with 3 cores hitting 65C and core 0 hitting 60 (core 0 on everage is 3C to 5C cooler then the other cores). Again not bad.

So... i'll let it run some blend of test overnight with bios setting to "increased cooling".

devour

Hi guys, read the first post and was looking for some info about swapping the CPU for another. Have two Xeon´s laying around. 

So, what about the possiblitity of a E3-1260L or a E3-1240?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52275,52273

The first is a 45W and the second 80W TDP. Think the 80 might be a bit over the top. 

I´ve seen people here and in the first post who have used E3-1260v2/1265v2 or even 1240v2, but not the onces I have. 

schoondoggy

So far I have not heard of anyone running into a E3-12xx that did not work. 

With the power budget on the MS G8, I would go with the 45W.

demon11c

Just finished re-disgning my home netowork with the Microserver Gen8 at the core and it's all looking pretty sweet at the moment. One thing I'd like your thoughts on:

My internet connection provides me with a /29 of public IPs. I have one assigned to the WAN side of my Microserver (which is a firewall among other things). What Im thinking of doing is putting a hub between the Internet and the Microserver and then also connecting the iLo of the Microserver to the hub. I would assign the iLo one of the public IPs. Then, (as long as there is no issue with the hub, Internet line or iLo iteself) I can remotely troubleshoot server issues via iLo

What do you think about this strategy of putting iLo naked on the Internet like this? My passwords are very strong and Im trying to follow iLo best practices as much as possible, but am I still playing with fire a bit too much? Even if someone finds an exploit and hacks my iLo, they could reboot etc but would still need to get past my (very strong) OS passwords to get into my system.

What do you think?

ASCII art:

internet ------ hub ------ microserver (fw)------LAN

|                     |

|                     |

iLo  ------------ |

ikon

I hadn't considered this scenario but, now that I have, it sounds like exactly the kind of thing HP must have designed the iLO to do. How much better of a use for iLO could there be than being able to remotely connect to a server that is in, say, Alabama while you're in, oh I don't know, Kandahar? ;)

demon11c

Yeah, I mean remote management is exactly what it's designed for, but over the Internet? ....Im just trying to think of all the security implications.

Edited by demon11c

jmwills

VPN....works great