Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

Recommended Posts

paradox
12 hours ago, Robertomcat said:

Hello good day. This is the version of November 6 for the G8?

2017-12-09_12h08_17.jpg

yes latest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robertomcat

Hello good afternoon! I have a question about the HP p410 controller. It turns out that right now I have a hardware RAID 4 × 6 TB, and I'm thinking of changing the disks to a larger size, specifically 10 TB. Does this controller support 10 TB disks in any RAID system? Thank you very much and greetings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
On 12/29/2017 at 8:29 AM, Robertomcat said:

Hello good afternoon! I have a question about the HP p410 controller. It turns out that right now I have a hardware RAID 4 × 6 TB, and I'm thinking of changing the disks to a larger size, specifically 10 TB. Does this controller support 10 TB disks in any RAID system? Thank you very much and greetings!

I am not sure if the P410 supports 10TB drives, but it does support array expansion. Do you have a cache module and battery installed on it? What RAID level are you running, RAID5 or RAID10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robertomcat
1 minute ago, schoondoggy said:

I am not sure if the P410 supports 10TB drives, but it does support array expansion. Do you have a cache module and battery installed on it? What RAID level are you running, RAID5 or RAID10?

Hello! As the controller currently has 1GB of RAM with the flash battery. And right now you are running a RAID0 of 4 × 6 TB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
Just now, Robertomcat said:

Hello! As the controller currently has 1GB of RAM with the flash battery. And right now you are running a RAID0 of 4 × 6 TB.

So all four drives are in a single 24TB RAID0 pool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robertomcat
Just now, schoondoggy said:

So all four drives are in a single 24TB RAID0 pool?

Yes jaja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
Just now, Robertomcat said:

Yes jaja

As far as I know there is no way to do an online expansion of a RAID0 by swapping drives. You would need to create a new RAID0 array with new bigger drives and restore from a backup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robertomcat
Just now, schoondoggy said:

As far as I know there is no way to do an online expansion of a RAID0 by swapping drives. You would need to create a new RAID0 array with new bigger drives and restore from a backup.

 

Oh no no, I want to remove the four 6 TB disks, and put four new 10 TB disks. My question was if the controller accepted 10 TB discs, I will not do any expansion, just remove and put the new discs. It was more than anything in case I bought them and then they were not compatible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
6 minutes ago, Robertomcat said:

Oh no no, I want to remove the four 6 TB disks, and put four new 10 TB disks. My question was if the controller accepted 10 TB discs, I will not do any expansion, just remove and put the new discs. It was more than anything in case I bought them and then they were not compatible.

Got it!

You may need to post on some HP forums to see if anyone is using drives that big on a P410.

You could buy one 10TB and with the proper cabling connect it to the second port on the P410 to see if it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robertomcat
4 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

Got it!

You may need to post on some HP forums to see if anyone is using drives that big on a P410.

You could buy one 10TB and with the proper cabling connect it to the second port on the P410 to see if it works.

The truth is that I do not know anything about the HP forums. Do you know any one so you can pass me a link?

Yes, right now I have the disk of the optical bay that I do not use, and it could be a good option to try the 10 TB, but that would leave it as a last option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • iwilltry
      By iwilltry
      Hi there,
      I hope this topic fits here just right.
      So a few days ago, I moved my Microserver Gen8 to a friend's place and resetted it.
      When we set it up with new disks, the raid-creation in OpenMediaVault (Debian 9.6) failed.
      `smartctl` tests passed just fine though and vendor-tools also didn't report any drive errors.
      What happened?
      - I start the Raid creation via `mdadm` and after a while (random blocks and times), it fails and the second disk seems to fail (e.g. sda and sdb are creating a raid, then sdb gets "kicked out" and reread as e.g. sdd, sometimes even with only a few GB of space instead of 3TB).
      I tried attaching the second disk on ata2 and ata3, but it keeps failing. The one on ata1 works just fine though.
      I tried different disks and vendors, but get the same results.
      There are some errors in `dmesg`, but I don't know what they mean. I pasted them here: https://pastebin.com/raw/XASQJ6cy
      What I did here: I stopped the raid to re-create it, but then didn't do anything for a while and the error still came up.

      Can someone help me with this? (As a wild guess, I'd say that somethings wrong with the SATA connections at least on ata2 and ata3).

      Thanks in advance
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Well, I finally did it and got a 4K monitor and have attached it to my MicroServer.
       
      Here is my list of devices that I worked with:
       
      4K LG Monitor
      ·         LG32UD59-B 32” 4K UHD LED Monitor, 3840x2160, HDCP 2.2, HDMI, DisplayPort, AMD FreeSync, On-Screen Control
      HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 X3421
      ·         8GB RAM  - Stock
      ·         Windows 10 Pro x64
      ·         OS Drive: SATA Port 1 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB loaded in Icy Dock’s EZConvert in Drive Bay 1
      ·         4K LG Monitor attached with DP cable – NOTE: 4K LG Monitor was also attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   -- both attachments seemed to work well.
      ·         SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB 2.0 External Stereo Audio Adapter
      ·         External speakers with subwoofer
      ·         Logitech K120 Keyboard with mouse
      ·         Pioneer slim external USB 3.0 Blu-Ray BDR-XD05S
      ·         CyberLink PowerDVD 18 Ultra
       
      The monitor seems to work well in 4K mode with both the DP cable connected directly to the MS as well as the HDMI cable using a DP to HDMI converter that I used last year when working on the Beta unit.  So far so good.  
       
      Here's a video of my experience
       
       






    • Sug7
      By Sug7
      Hi Guys,
       
      New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8? 
       
      I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?  
       
      Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..
       
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Any experience & suggestions for a 4k BluRay Optical drive that would fit in the top of the MicroServer?
×