RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

cskenney

I added some additional sites that are selling Gen8 Microservers along with the links to the product pages and the pricing at the time I posted the info.

As pointed out in another topic, the prices are already starting to erode.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

I added some additional sites that are selling Gen8 Microservers along with the links to the product pages and the pricing at the time I posted the info.

As pointed out in another topic, the prices are already starting to erode.

Very nice Chris -- having the prices in one place is pretty neat!

cskenney

Pricing just gives people an idea of where it's currently at so they know when a deal comes around.

Interesting that the thing isn't even released into the market yet and the price is already falling.

schoondoggy

The link to the QuickSpecs seems to be broken.

It seems to happen a lot with HP QuickSecs links.

cskenney

The link to the QuickSpecs seems to be broken.

It seems to happen a lot with HP QuickSecs links.

Fixed (for now).  It seems HP is constantly changing the links to their pages.....

Joe_Miner

Renny alerted me to a short video with Greg Starks about the HP ProLiant G8 MicroServer that is pretty interesting and worth the time to watch IMHO -- Greg even mentions doing a Google search on "HomeServer" at the end of the video!

HP Tech Talk features new HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

Thanks Renny for the heads up on this!

ikon

What'd ya think JM; I basically felt that Greg reiterated the use cases we talk about all the time around here. It does make me wonder about 1 thing though: Greg mentioned how HP strived for versatility of the G8 because they saw how people were modifying & upgrading their MicroServers. So why did they cut back to 1 PCIe slot? Seems to me this restricts versatility. I realise the x1 slot in the G7s was intended in some sense to be the ILO slot, and the G8s have ILO onboard, but that 2nd slot sure is handy.

Pancakes

I think the fact it has Dual LAN and USB 3.0 kinda makes most cards useless, what would you even use in there?

I really want to pick up a G8 when they get cheaper, but I am having trouble thinking of stuff it could do :( My G7 does everything I want

Edited by Pancakes

ikon

Why, more USB3 of course! :D

Seriously though, it only has 2 USB3 ports, doesn't it?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I installed a BU50N Blu-ray 4K drive in my HPE ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer.  Worked out well, I'm using PowerDVD13 -- I had to restart the "Machine" several times before it saw the ODD but "Machine" finally figured it out.

• iwilltry
      By iwilltry
      Hi there,
      I hope this topic fits here just right.
      So a few days ago, I moved my Microserver Gen8 to a friend's place and resetted it.
      When we set it up with new disks, the raid-creation in OpenMediaVault (Debian 9.6) failed.
      `smartctl` tests passed just fine though and vendor-tools also didn't report any drive errors.
      What happened?
      - I start the Raid creation via `mdadm` and after a while (random blocks and times), it fails and the second disk seems to fail (e.g. sda and sdb are creating a raid, then sdb gets "kicked out" and reread as e.g. sdd, sometimes even with only a few GB of space instead of 3TB).
      I tried attaching the second disk on ata2 and ata3, but it keeps failing. The one on ata1 works just fine though.
      I tried different disks and vendors, but get the same results.
      There are some errors in `dmesg`, but I don't know what they mean. I pasted them here: https://pastebin.com/raw/XASQJ6cy
      What I did here: I stopped the raid to re-create it, but then didn't do anything for a while and the error still came up.

Can someone help me with this? (As a wild guess, I'd say that somethings wrong with the SATA connections at least on ata2 and ata3).

Thanks in advance
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Well, I finally did it and got a 4K monitor and have attached it to my MicroServer.

Here is my list of devices that I worked with:

4K LG Monitor
      ·         LG32UD59-B 32” 4K UHD LED Monitor, 3840x2160, HDCP 2.2, HDMI, DisplayPort, AMD FreeSync, On-Screen Control
      HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 X3421
      ·         8GB RAM  - Stock
      ·         Windows 10 Pro x64
      ·         OS Drive: SATA Port 1 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB loaded in Icy Dock’s EZConvert in Drive Bay 1
      ·         4K LG Monitor attached with DP cable – NOTE: 4K LG Monitor was also attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   -- both attachments seemed to work well.
      ·         SYBA SD-CM-UAUD USB 2.0 External Stereo Audio Adapter
      ·         External speakers with subwoofer
      ·         Logitech K120 Keyboard with mouse
      ·         Pioneer slim external USB 3.0 Blu-Ray BDR-XD05S
      ·         CyberLink PowerDVD 18 Ultra

The monitor seems to work well in 4K mode with both the DP cable connected directly to the MS as well as the HDMI cable using a DP to HDMI converter that I used last year when working on the Beta unit.  So far so good.  

Here's a video of my experience

• Sug7
      By Sug7
      Hi Guys,

New member here, some great info on this forum so hopefully a few of you have experience with the Intel E3-1260L CPU running in a HP Microserver Gen8? 

I know for sure it will work as I’ve seen some good threads on here but can anyone tell me if the upgrade made a noticeable difference in the fan speeds and noise?  

Im looking at putting two Gen8’s in a living room in place of an old N54L so cautious of too much noise..