RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

Joe_Miner

Looks like the micro server may be relevant now. On your chart you indicated the i5 was a possible upgrade so that's good but it will depend on how much memory the board supports.

In the QuickSpecs HP certifies it for 16GB RAM.  Check the Additional Options on HP Storage Contollers -- check the specs on the P222 Controller -- Very interesting!

jmwills

It has 2 slots and HP says 16 GB max. I am sure someone will try 32GB.

2x16 GB DIMMS will be hard to find for someone to test with.  Not to mention the cost, ~$275

cskenney

2x16 GB DIMMS will be hard to find for someone to test with. Not to mention the cost, ~$275

Exactly, but I am sure someone will try it if they can find the RAM. A lot of the people that want to use it as an ESXi lab are moaning about it only having 16 GB of RAM.

jmwills

Most will have either a N40 or N54 or both....so use that one in conjunction.

ikon

Exactly, but I am sure someone will try it if they can find the RAM. A lot of the people that want to use it as an ESXi lab are moaning about it only having 16 GB of RAM.

Hopefully. It will be interesting to find out if it can be done.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Thanks for the responses. I am viewing on my phone so it was too hard to find what I was after.

kerrylau

It seems great. Is it possible to replace the CPU with E3-1220L V2 or E3-1265L V2?

schoondoggy

It seems great. Is it possible to replace the CPU with E3-1220L V2 or E3-1265L V2?

That all depends on how much HP locks down the BIOS. The CPU's you have listed are 1155 pin so the match the G8 MicroServer. The G2020T that comes in the new MS has a power draw of 35W. The E3-1220L V2 is 17W, the E3-1265L V2 is 45W. If HP runs the same BIOS across this set of servers, the CPU's that are listed for the ML310e may work as long as they are not to high of a power draw;

Processor
One of the following
depending on Model
Entry Processors
NOTE: Intel® Celeron® G540 supports up to 1066MHz DDR3 memory speed. Intel® Celeron® G1610 and
G1620 and Intel® Pentium® G860and G2020 support up to 1333 MHz DDR3 memory speed.
Celeron G540 processor, performance for 1600MHz memory is clocked down to 1066MHz.
Celeron G1610, G1620 and Pentium G860 and G2020 processors, performance for 1600MHz memory is
clocked down to 1333MHz.
Intel® Celeron® G540 (2.5GHz/2-core/2MB/65W) Processor
Intel® Celeron® G1610 (2.6GHz/2-core/2MB/55W) Processor
Intel® Celeron® G1620 (2.7GHz/2-core/2MB/55W) Processor
Intel® Pentium® G2020 (2.9GHz/2-core/3MB/55W) Processor
Intel® Pentium® G2120 (3.1GHz/2-core/3MB/55W) Processor
Intel® Pentium® G2130 (3.2GHz/2-core/3MB/55W) Processor
Base Processors
NOTE: All support up to 1600MHz DDR3 memory speeds.
Intel® Core™ i3-3220 (3.3GHz/2-core/3MB/65W, HT) Processor
Intel® Core™ i3-3240 (3.4GHz/2-core/3MB/65W, HT) Processor
Performance Processors
NOTE: All support up to 1600MHz DDR3 memory speeds.
Intel® Xeon® E3-1220Lv2 (2.3GHz/2-core/3MB/17W, HT)
Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v2 (3.1GHz/4-core/8MB/69W)
Intel® Xeon® E3-1230v2 (3.3GHz/4-core/8MB/69W, HT)
Intel® Xeon® E3-1240v2 (3.4GHz/4-core/8MB/69W, HT)
Intel® Xeon® E3-1270v2 (3.5GHz/4-core/8MB/69W, HT)
Intel® Xeon® E3-1280v2 (3.6GHz/4-core/8MB/69W, HT)
NOTE: HT indicates that the processor model supports Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology.
NOTE: DDR3 speed is the maximum memory speed of the processor. Actual memory speed may depend on
the quantity and type of DIMMs installed (options for 1600, 1333, 1066MHz).

Only time will tell, but the E3-1220Lv2 is listed for the ML310e.
Edited by schoondoggy
  • Like 1

cskenney

Enough with the speculation....who is going to be the first to buy one? 

ikon

Enough with the speculation....who is going to be the first to buy one? 

Patience grass-hop-ah :)