RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 Links

Jason

Wish I had a need for one of these. Loved my old HP EX485 until I outgrew it. This seems like that box on steroids.

Joe_Miner

Great looking machine!  So...  What numbers are people putting into their Newegg Price Alerts?  :)

jmwills

$400

cskenney

$400

Which model?  Either?

jmwills

The G2020T.  I don't need any more Celeron units.

ikon

The G2020T.  I don't need any more Celeron units.

:)

Joe_Miner

I upgraded this Chart to show the CPU's that have been reported used to upgrade the Gen8 as well as the CPU's that Schoondoggy and other's have speculated may have potential of working in the Gen8 but we know of nobody as of yet who can confirm that they work.  For some I couldn't find Passmark benchmark scores so the performance ranking is not available -- If you have any update information please post it in the Forums and I'll try to update this table as soon as I can.
Thanks,
Joe

full.png

(Table updated by Avacha 6/4/2016) http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/?p=116872 

Edited by Joe_Miner

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Looks like the micro server may be relevant now. On your chart you indicated the i5 was a possible upgrade so that's good but it will depend on how much memory the board supports.

cskenney

It has 2 slots and HP says 16 GB max. I am sure someone will try 32GB.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Any experience & suggestions for a 4k BluRay Optical drive that would fit in the top of the MicroServer?
    • Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      Hi
      I have problem to rebuilding a disk for Windows Server 2016 Essentials  C:\ disk. I have replace a disk with same diskspace (160GB) and running with RAID1. 
      Have restart the server and have select F2 for rebuilding and the server wont rebuild the disk, I have now got the same message, 

776 Logical Drive 1 is queued for rebuilding.

Where can I found the logfiles for troubleshooting ? and what can I do further with that problem  ?

Thanks in advance 😉
      Sokoban

• GoHerdIBG
      By GoHerdIBG
      I also posted this on the HPE forums.

Just bought my first HP Microserver and got a decent deal on a Gen10 x3421.  I am using a USB key to try and install either CentOS or RHEL 7 on it and neither install sees any of the disks in the front slots.  I am using 1TB WD Caviar Green drives.  I have also tried a Seagate drive but nothing seems to work.

I have gone back and forth between EUFI and Legacy hoping that would help.  Nothing.

I am currently installing on a 500B USB drive and hope to see if the drives are visible when I fully boot.

I also looked through the drivers and firmware and did not see anything directly related to my problem.  I was going to download the SPP but couldn't igure out how to register my system manually to allow me to download the SPP.

Am I missing anything obvious or does the system not yet support RHEL 7 or CentOS 7?

Thanks for any information.

• rubenbb
      By rubenbb
      Hi all,

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8 upgraded to Xeon E3 1265 v2, 16Gb RAM, SSD 256 Gb on the ODD Port and 2 x 3 TB WD RED disks

In the SSD I have an ESXi 6.5 U2 (HP custom image) version installed (driver downgraded to 5.5.088 from 5.5.102) and the WD Disks are in RAID 1 for datastore of vmware related files

I just bought a HP 410 Raid Controller with 1gb FWBC and battery 

I did read a lot about this subject, I know that isn't possible to be monitored by ILO 4....but I would like if someone can confirm me my thoughts about how to made this migration

1) Plug HP410 on the mobo
      2) Connect Cable used in the disks WD to the lower port of the P410
      3) Connect ODD cable used for the SSD Disk in the upper port of the p410
      4) Turn On microserver and enter in the SSA and check if arrays created in the b120i are visible for the p410
      5) If is OK, restart

Questions:
      - I have that to do something for to boot the SSD that has ESXi installation when boot up server?
      - Driver 5.5.088 hpvsa will see the datastores on the p410 without no action from my side?
      - Must I disable b120i on bios or is possible co-live with the P410

It'll be very apreciated the help 
    • in2thepit
      By in2thepit
      Hi Folks,

I am hoping that you can help with an issue I am having with my new HP Microserver Gen 10. Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. 
      The microserver CPU is constantly running at 100%. It occasionally dips but normally is maxed out. I have build the server from new using Samsung SSD drives in a Raid 1 configuration initially. I have also tried the following.

1. Single SSD with windows 10 Pro
      2. Single SDD with Server 2016
      3. Raid 1 with Server 2016.
      4. Single SATA with Windows 10 pro.

I have updated the firmware. I have downloaded all the latest drivers from HP's portal.

I have tried to get support from HP but they are providing one excuse after another to explain why they cant support the server. Currently the server is about a month or so old.

HP Support responses..

1. Windows 10 isn't supported.. ( Despite having windows 10 drivers for this server on their portal)
      2. SSD drives are not supported
      3. SATA drives are not supported unless they have HP branding. ( The Gen 10 is being sold on Amazon with Western Digital drives included)

We have tried killing of several services in Windows 10 as per articles that we have found online. We have set the Virtual Memory to refresh on reboot.

None of the above have achieved anything. 

As a result of the CPU running constantly at 100% the system is unbearably slow and cant be used to run even the most basic of tasks.

It looks like we have been left holding an expensive tin box.

I have attached a screen dump showing the CPU utilization. 

Any help or advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
      Carl