RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Using WHS 2011 as BackUp for WS 2012 Essentials

james09

I have a very nice WHS 2011 system.  It has lots of memory and is running fine.  I am considering building a W 2012 Essentials server, and I was wondering if it was possible to install the Launchpad for the WHS 2011 onto the W2012 Essentials server and use the 2011 as the backup for the 2012?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• jmwills

• ikon

• james09

Top Posters In This Topic

It should run just fine, but Server 2008/R2 would be easier.  Although....WHS, might have an issue with the domain structure.

Thank you for your reply. I am a beginner, so I will have to ask you to please be patient and explain.

I don't understand the issue with the domain structure, or why 2008/R2 would be easier. As long as the servers have different names, I do not understand where their would be a domain conflict running behind my home router. They will also be running different operating systems.

Why would 2008/R2 be easier? It seems to me that the Launchpad makes things quite simple for us beginners, and it is one of the reasons why I am staying with the Essentials version.

Thanks in advance for any explanations you might provide.

2008 would be easier to use as a backup solution/target simply because it can join the domain. WHS cannot join the domain.

He wants to use WHS 2011 as a backup source for WS2012E.  You could do some workarounds with the Credential manager but 2011 is not going to join the domain.

I understand the goal, but I'm wondering if it's simply a matter of installing the Connector onto WSE2012 and configuring the backup in the DashBoard on the WHS2011.

I see the beginnings of another hack around and continuing issues.  Stick to best practices and in this case it would be using Server 2008 as a target for WS2012E

With my experience, I have been able to install the WHSv1 connector on my WHS2011,SBS2011E,WSS08R2W and WSE2012 and backup the server's OS or any drive to my WHSv1.

But I was not able to install any other current generation connector between servers including the WHSv1 server.

You could manually setup the Server Backup to point to a network location that's on an other server. You just can't use the built in function in the Dashboard because it wants to use a USB drive.

However I did read that you could install and backup a Windows Multipoint Server to a SBS2011 Essentials server using the connector. http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/02/23/windows-multipoint-server-2011-and-interaction-with-small-business-server-2011-essentials.aspx so maybe ther's a workaround in that. I believe this is also true with the 2012 server versions.

I am totally lost with the statement "stick with best practices."  I do not have a reference point with which to refer to said best practices. 

Ok, I get there is an issue with joining the domain which you guys see and I don't.  I accept that point, and if WHS cannot join the domain, then how can the various NAS units join the domain? 

The WHS can get its IP from the 2012 E server and it will do nothing more than backup that server.  All other functions previously handled by the WHS will now be handled through the 2012 E server.