RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore N40L to stock BIOS, lost my recovery USB stick

Guest Micco

Guest Micco

Hi,

I would like to restore my N40L to the stock BIOS since I no longer need the modified BIOS.

Sadly I have lost my recovery USB stick, and have no clue of how I shall proceed?

Do you have any ideas? Can the stock BIOS be downloaded in somehow or is it required to use the recovery USB stick I made before flashing the BIOS to modified version?

Hi Micco!  From any Windows machine go to HP's page for Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade for HP ProLiant MicroServer (For USB Key-Media) and download the file SP5433.exe and follow the installation instructions that are on HP's Web Page and You'll be good to go.  Let us know if there are any problems.  The paper Here also has installation instructions.  The only big thing to be careful about is to not interrupt the power during the ~40-60 seconds the flash takes.

Here are HP's instructions from their Web Page \/ \/

Installation:

USB Key - HPQUSB.exe is a Windows-based utility to locally partition, format and copy necessary files to a USB flash media device (e.g. HP Drive Key) through the Windows environment. The created USB flash media device is made bootable and ready to locally restore and/or update the firmware on the system.

1. Obtain a formatted USB Key media.

2. Download the SoftPaq to a directory on a system running Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, or Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 and change to that directory.

3. From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded SoftPaq file: Simply double click on the SPxxxxx.exe file and follow the installation wizard to complete the SoftPaq installation process. At the end of a successful installation of the SoftPaq a web page will automatically appear to provide you with the different methods for restoring and/or upgrading the firmware on the system.

4. After the USB Key is created, you may delete the downloaded file if you wish.

5. Insert this USB Key into the USB Key port of the system to be updated and power the system on to boot to the USB Key.

Guest Micco

Thank you for that reply Joe_Miner!

I must forgotten that the recovery USB stick is generic for all N40L's and not directly tied to my N40L.