RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs2011 backup utility question / strategy

capall

one other Q came to mind.

1. In client backups, How is the data stored on the server?  is it a flat set of files, vhd ?..from the perspective of....

I have 2 very old laptops, win7 and data on them, that I want to put to sleep and not use any more. I have copied all the data to the server and was thinking of doing one, and one only, client backup before I turn them off. Just as a precaution in case I didn't get all their data onto the server. However if I was to do a backup of the client backup folder on the server to an ext drive (with all my other server data);

2. can you access the client data without going through a full client restore (which is obviously the point of a client backup, I know)

3. And if you were to back up the client backup, do you have to use the Server backup utility for them

thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• capall

• ikon

• jmwills

• gcoupe

Top Posters In This Topic

jmwills

You would have to do a restore in order to get to that data, that is why a lot of people Sync the data over to another source.  Now, you could create another shared folder and RoboCopy or some other Sync program the data over as flat files and you could get at them from any machine.

that's what I thought.

if I understand correctly, the client back ups when stored on the server by the server backup utility are an image and possibly in a VHD format, and require the server to restore them, no matter if restoring from the server itself or from the server backup disk if they were included in the backup disk.

thanks

In theory it's possible to run the Client Restore utility and restore individual files and folders from a WHS2011 Client PC backup. In practice, people have found it takes an inordinately long time to do this -- restoring the whole client PC is actually faster in most cases. Restoring files and folders did work pretty well in WHSv1, but not so much in WHS2011.

hey guys, quick Q,

-is it a good idea to keep the client backups on a different drive from the OS, say one of the data drives?, and if so, is it OK or does it make sense to include them in my data backups, using cloudberry for local offsite backups (I don't think I need them on my S3 account)

thanks