RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

whs2011 backup utility question / strategy

capall

Hi all,

I was wondering about the built in backup utility in whs2011. I was under the impression it would only allow the OS to be backed up to a dedicated drive (eg USB), and if so how does it backup the shares to a different drive, or is there 2 different utilities, one for the system drive and one for shares (each with their own separate backup drives)?

I was thinking of this scenario, where I have the OS on a dedicated drive, and all data on their dedicated drive.

-OS backed up to a dedicated USB drive with whs2011 backup utility

-Shares; critical data backed up to 2 rotating offsite drives with whs2011 backup utility, and then also sync all data (including critical) with cloudberry/allwaysync/crashplanc to the same 2 rotating offsite drives.

This way I have 2 "types" of copies of my critical data on the 2 rotating drives while also getting around the 2TB limit.

(may also have critical copied to the cloud)

Thanks

capall

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gcoupe

• jmwills

• ikon

• capall

Top Posters In This Topic

In the sense you're talking about, there is only 1 utility: Windows Server Backup. There is a 2nd backup program, but it's the one used for Client PC backups: i.e. the one that is NOT included with most other versions of Windows Server. Windows Server Backup is included with all versions of Windows Server.

Windows Server Backup does require a dedicated drive or drives. With WHS2011, one of it's limitations is that you can't back up more than 2TB. This can be an issue if you want to back up the Client PC backups.

The way I get around it is by only using Windows Server Backup to back up the System/OS/Boot drive. I back up all my data using Task Scheduler, CMD files, and RoboCopy. Rather than detail it all here, I'm posting some links to what I do:

SERVER SETUP PHOTOS

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1899-whs-2011-storage-strategy/page__st__140#entry47628

BACKUP STRATEGY
http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4788-what-i-hope-to-acheive-with-your-help/page__p__51373#entry51373

BACKUP SCRIPTS
http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5197-robocopy-backup-scripts/

thanks ikon.

so one utility, "Windows Server Backup ", that makes sense.

So can I have the Windows Server Backup utility backup the OS to one drive and data to a different drive. Thought here is that it's a good idea to put the OS on its own drive.

In Windows Server Backup you can choose Backup Once and during the process you can Add only the items you want to be backed up to the list. I'm not sure if you can schedule multiple lists.

Thanks for the backup pal. So, any kind of manual backup you want, but only 1 scheduled.

Do you think it might be possible to use Task Scheduler to copy the existing Backup Job and then edit the copy, thus ending up with 2 Tasks.

whats the thoughts on whether to keep the OS and data on separate drives?...but it sounds like whs2011 intends you to have them on the same drive when using the Windows Server Backup utility.

Not sure how you got the idea that WHS2011 wants the OS and data on the same drive, but it isn't true. I think almost all members of these forums recommend keeping data on a separate drive or drives.

jmwills, help me out here: could capall run into the 2TB VHD limit? Does it apply to Windows Server Backup as well as WHS Backup?

capall. my recollection is that the 2TB limit does apply, which is one of the reasons I don't use Windows Server Backup to backup the OS + Data. By only backing up the OS I will never run into the 2TB issue. By using RoboCopy to copy my data files to my NearLine and OffSite drives, my data is always in a easily readable format, without having to use a backup tool.