RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Copying contents from one server to another.

perbear

I have an HP Ex470 which has been running for more than a year. At the moment I have PP3 installed and 2 harddrives (and I will add another one later on). What I want to do now is to transfer the contents from this homeserver to a new one, an HP Storageworks X510 Data Vault. The old server will then be moved to a new home and hopefully run happily ever after there.
Any suggestions how I could and should do this? We are talking about less than 400 GB of files (of which 60 GB are duplications)

This is something I've thought about too as we get ready for a future release of Vail. I actually don't really care about my pc backups as I plan to re-back up each machine as it's added to the new server. I'll just be cutting and pasting (and waiting).

I recommend copy/paste actually. No sense deleting the data before you know it is safe at the new place.
Oh, and robocopy might be of use.

robocopy \\homeserver1\music \\homeserver2\music * /e
robocopy \\homeserver1\photos \\homeserver2\photos * /e
robocopy \\homeserver1\videos \\homeserver2\videos * /e

If possible, put both servers on the same switch to speed up the transfer. The more hardware between the servers the slower the transfer. Comments are per personal experience.

Thanks a million, guys. I do have enough space left in my switch so I will be able to make a transfer when both servers are online. I will let you know when I am done - or if I get into trouble.

@perbear + AJ - Oops...yes, I actually meant to say copy and paste.

I've gotta check out robocopy. I've heard good things about it.

• 9 months later...

<p>Thanks a million, guys. I do have enough space left in my switch so I will be able to make a transfer when both servers are online. I will let you know when I am done - or if I get into trouble.</p>

Just wanted to make a closure here. Much later I am afraid: In the end I never did come around to copying. The old backups and files rests on the old EX470 and from the moment I plugged in the x510 it has made the new backups. I have tried Vail (betas 1 and 2) on a third machine and now that WHS 2011 is out in RC I really don't know what to do (try it or leave it?) But the copying and pasting never happened.