RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Suddenly missing a core (processor) in Console - EX495

Grant B

OK... has anyone else come across this and it is a problem?

Today, I was putting some stuff on my server shares. I decided to check something out in the console but it would not come up (on 2 machines). I decided to hit the button on the back of the unit and shut it down but after a few minutes it was apparent it was not going to shut down. I RDP'd into the server and went to shut it down that way. The shut down popped up with a " 3 updates to install and then shut down". I hit OK, it installed the 3 updates and then went to shut down but did not actually power off the unit. I waited a half an hour, thinking there was something holding up the updates. Finally, I held the power button on the back and it shut down. Turned it back on, it booted and then I could access the Console... Great!

Then I noticed that there was only 1 core showing (I have a EX495) and not 2 cores as previous. Odd... So I RDP'd into the server and took a look. System shows a dual core processor. Task manager shows 2 cores. I installed and ran CPUid and it shows a dual core processor. Very odd.

While I was in there, I ran windows update and updated the server and I have rebooted it several times. Still shows only one core! Starting to get frustrated now.

Any ideas?

Grant

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• Grant B

• ikon

• Mr_Smartepants

I would also suggest you install Belarc, it will create a list showing your installed Windows Updates. You will be able to see if any failed,

Thanks Guys, I'll do that. Are you thinkinh it had something to do with the 3 updates that were applied when I went to shut the server down for the remote desktop ot the fact taht I had to hard boot it?

Mr_Smartepants,

Have you used this on an EX495? The Winstrom motherboard in the server does not show up in the list of boards for the driver update.

Yup, it works fine.  Ignore the list of boards on that page.  Intel will only list their own boards.

Mr_Smartepants,

OK... I know I'll sound paranoid but this is what CPUid says for the motherboard...

Winstorn 532837-ZH1

Chipset P35/G33/G31 Rev A2

Southbridge 82801IR (ICH9R) Rev 02

Is this the proper chipset update for sure? If so - great :)

Next question... What is the proper way to install and what exactly is it supposed to do?

Thanks,

Grant

Yes, the Intel chipset update is the correct one.

All it is, is a collection of hundreds of .inf (install files) and .cat (security catalog) files.  There isn't a single .sys "driver" in the entire package. 

The easiest way to install it is to just copy the INF_allOS_9.4.0.1017_PV.exe to your ex495, RDP to the server and double click the .exe and keep clicking 'OK', 'Install', or whatever makes it progress.

All it does is allow your OS to correctly identify the system components on the motherboard.  

You won't see any performance change, only the OS will recognize that you have two cores instead of one.