RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 on N40L installation

talldave

I tried with the RAC removed, and now it completely skips the blinking "Initializing..." screen.   Also the ACU Offline load time is much faster.  Yet, the result is the same:  

ACU did not detect any supported controllers in your system.

I removed the 256MB cache (and RAC is still out) and now I can get the ACU Offline to recognize the card.   weird.   now time to have fun with config.

Guest Micco

Interesting topic, I received my P410 today, hopefully I will succeed to get it start working on my N40L.

HP SMART ARRAY P410 Raid Controller 256 MB Cache PCI-E 462919-001

How have you connected the P410 to the N40L?

I will try to unplug the internal on-board mini-SAS (SFF-8087) cable connected to the motherboard and plug it in one of the mini-SAS contacts on the P410.

I'm curious where did you buy your P410, and what else came with it besides the card itself?

Same, I unplugged the mini-SAS from the motherboard and put it into the top connector of the card (no idea if that matters).  The config tool calls them drives 5-8 (assuming the bottom port is drives 1-4).

The HP RAID cards generally ship with the cache module and the battery.

They will support RAID 0, 1 & 10 with no cache module. With the cache module they will support RAID 5.

With the battery you can use the write cache.

When you guys get your P410's up and running be sure to run the diagnostics in the software suite.

Guest Micco

I'm curious where did you buy your P410, and what else came with it besides the card itself?

Same, I unplugged the mini-SAS from the motherboard and put it into the top connector of the card (no idea if that matters).  The config tool calls them drives 5-8 (assuming the bottom port is drives 1-4).

I bought the P410 from ServerShop24 in Germany via Ebay

I just received the card including the 256MB memory module, so no extra cabels or anything.

Edited by Micco

Guest Micco

I just realized that I may have connected my P410 to wrong PCI slot? The N40L has two PCI slots, one of them is larger.

Please see this image and tell me what you think is the right PCI slot to use, is the upper one a PCI Express x16?:

P1010548.png

Update: I found a manual which describes the PCI expansion slots on page 51, it seems like the larger expansion slot is PCI Express x16, while the smaller one is a PCI Express x1/S4 - http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c02473845-10.pdf

Edited by Micco

The larger one, closer to the edge of the board, is for the P410.    Make sure you put the card in such that there is no empty space in the slot towards the rear.   This will exactly line up the profile bracket with the rear of the motherboard and case.