RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 on N40L installation

talldave

Sorry for the noob post, but I've been running in circles and don't know what I'm missing.

I'm new to server building, more so with respect to hardware.    I have an HP Proliant MicroServer N40L with default BIOS.   I recently purchased the RAC and P410 RAID Controller.

Are there settings in the BIOS I need to change to get the P410 to work? 

Do I need the modified BIOS (which)?

I boot the computer, everything comes up fine.  Then it notices the P410 Smart Array and flashes "Initializing..." fooorrreeevvver.    Some text quickly scrambles by, then it goes to the F10 BIOS/F12 PXE option.

While the server is flashing Initializing, I hit F8 and F9 (i've read both) multiple times.   I am really unclear on how to configure the RAID.   I bought the card from serversupply and did not receive any docs or CDs.  I read the doc online and it talks about using ACU so I looked into downloading this software.

I downloaded SmartStart 8.70B x64, burned to CD, booted; then get told that I have an unsupported model - install not available.

I feel there is a very simple answer to get me past this point, but I just can't find it.   I was under the impression that I did not need external software to configure the P410.  But, if I do, where is it?

What OS is running?  I don't have a 410 card, but you should be configuring the array from a web interface after the OS is loaded.  Or at least, that the way I would do it.

No OS is installed.  I've got ESXi on a usb stick, but no VMs have been configured.   What would the url be to configure via browser?

Is the card ESXi compatible?  If not, then you are fighting a losing proposition.  If it is, it could take quite some time for the array to configure which would be under the BIOS.  ESXi would see the array as a data store.

page 10 of the Configuring Arrays Ref Guide tells me that ORCA should launch automatically.

"ORCA is a ROM-resident array configuration utility that executes automatically during initialization of an HP 
Smart Array controller. This utility is designed to enable a logical drive to be configured on a new HP server 
before the operating system is installed"

It also tells me to read the ROM-Based Setup Utility user guide (RBSU).

"To open the RBSU, reboot the server and press F9 when prompted during the startup sequence."

I am never prompted to hit F9, and hitting F9 does nothing.    I have 4 drives installed of 2 capacities (2x250,2x640).   I will try removing 2 or 3 drives and see what happens.
Edited by talldave

Using ACU Offline failed.  Controller could not be found, even after rescan.

Powered down, took controller out, put it back in, tried again.  Fail again.

Tried ACPI=OFF mode, still failed.

Looks like I may have a faulty unit.   ugh