RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
jmwills

X-Box One PreOrder

ikon

So, since WWII the requirements have changed from Hershey bars and Coca-Cola to Xbox and internet access?

jmwills

You are spot on.  No internet, or even having to pay for it, really pisses people off.

ikon

Ah, kids today ;)

jeffla

I had my CC ready to pre-order and Xbox One the second it was availble for pre-order. I like my PS3 and over last ?7? years it has served my needs well but I always regretted not getting the 360. But, we wanted a blu-ray player and a gaming rig so the PS3 made sense even thought I was a loyal Xbox fanboy. I have been salivating with each passing week waiting for details on the new Xbox and couldn't wait to get one. But, to my disappointment, I was shocked at what they have done to the xbox. I currently have a stable, reliable internet connection at home but where I will be moving this summer does not. Asking for always on, or reliably once a day connection could be a stretch for me.  I buy 50% of my games used, I buy all the kinda want games used and the must haves new. We have several Xbox's at work with Kinect sensors and it's just not my thing. So forcing it into the bundle and making me pay for it seems like a mistake. The final blow came with the price, I'm out.

I'm not sure I'll get a PS4 because my heart has been set on an Xbox. I just simply prefer the online/interface, but I will not buy a XBO in it's current form. It simply would not work for my needs and a 360 is too old to consider. I'll probably pick up a PS4 though as my desire to play GTA, DeadSpace, Burnout and such will never subside.

I'm not going to say the Xbox One is a mistake, failure or whatever, but I do believe MS did not design the XBO with gaming as their main focus and it show. I would love to join the hate wagon and it would be easy with my loathing for Windows 8, Office 2013, WS20012E price, and now the XBO, but I will wait and see.

Edited by jeffla

axoid

Can clarify what you mean by this I don't follow why this would matter...

As i understand things, the xbox will run three virtual OSs. One for gaming, one for media and one for social. I have have a hard time believing that will not add overhead to the machine. As far as we know the PS4 will be running one version of the OS so all of the machines resorces will be available to that one OS and not shared with multiple OSs.

ikon

It may be a little early to worry about performance due to VMs. Everything I've seen so far indicates the Xone has plenty of horsepower. All the demos I'be seen have been smooth and fast.

jmwills

So, are we saying VM's don't work as efficiently?

ikon

I just realised I said VM when I meant multiple OS. I have no idea how those OS' are being implemented. For all I know there is some kind of supervisor ROM that monitors what the user wants to do and launches the appropriate OS for that function.

pcdoc

It strikes me as kind of funny hearing about the all the uproar for the XBox One.  The fact you cannot trade or sell used games you bought online is no different than Steam and for the most part is controlled by the publisher not MS.  Sony is announcing it will but remember that when it comes down to DRM they will only be able to do what the EA's of the world let them do.  Do not be surprised if there is not some "clarification" before the unit goes on sale.  Admittedly, the phone home things is a bit annoying however it is not just for DRM but updates, status, and other system level stuff.  I know that if you are in areas (like jeffla) where you have internet issues, this box is probably not going to work out at it is really geared towards multi-player, streaming, and downloading your games,  That I can understand but why is there so much controversy from various people that are not internet challenged when almost everything we own does the same thing. Cable box, Satellite, computer, cell phone, etc.  It is one thing to be concerned when you can not use it but it is another to complain when you can.  Just my two cents.

ikon

You raise some good points pcdoc, and one question. I really haven't kept up with the ins and outs of the Xone, but I've heard something about not being able to share games. You've clarified that games bought online can't be shared. Does that mean retail boxed games will still be able to be shared (if you know)? Or are there not going to be retail boxed games?