RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I'm Back.... A little advice please

Don W

I had been with WHS since the beginning, Ver 1, then 2011, I had numerous Frakenbuilds, and then I strayed... I cheated with FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, and then ended my affair with a Synology DS1812+. After many a days of regretful cheating I have realized my numerous mistakes and am now back in the saddle with a fresh Frakenbuild and Server 2012 Essentials but I have a few questions I need advice on. First off, I have the choice of two motherboards, first is a two year old first gen i7 with 12GB ram, and the other is a 1 year old 2nd gen i5 with 8GB ram. The next question that I can think of right now is should I go with onboard Raid 5 or use Storage Spaces with data redundancy, I plan on getting 4 3TB hard drives. The last question is should I get Red, Blue or Black hard drives and does it really matter.

Thanks

Don

Just my opinions:

Motherboard: Go with the second generation due to the fact that it will have 6GB connections (hopefully)

Redundancy:  I'd go with Drive bender before going with those other two options and on-board RAID before Storage Spaces.  Most people have been reporting terrible speeds with storage spaces.  Driver bender was on sale for about $10 recently.

The Red drives are built for storage, so since this is the end purpose, that is what I would recommend.

What was your issue with the Synology?  It would make a great backup target for the server.....not that you mentioned backups.

I have no issues at all with the Synology for storage purposes at all, per se. I really miss WHS backup and media streaming. The Synology has a couple apps, but nothing compared to the functionality of Windows. I tried to get it to work with CrashPlan and did not like how slow the backups were to complete and it slowed down my NAS terribly. I also like how if something goes wrong with my FrakenBuild, I can fix it. If something goes wrong with the Synology, and someday it will, then I have to send it off to get repaired or spend another $1000 to get another one.

Thanks

Don

Oh-yeah, when I had my last WHS 2011, I had DriveBender and did not like it. I got it when it first came out, and had data corruption problem. Then when my PC died and I tried to recover the data I had problems that I cannot remember what they were. I ended up posting here in the forums to give away my license and someone here is the lucky recipient of said license.

Don

I just dug out the manuals for the two MB's and the i7 board has 6 Sata 3 ports but also an Intel Matrix Raid controller. The i5 board has 2 Sata 6 ports and 4 Sata 3 ports and an Intel Rapid Storage Raid controller.

I mainly want a machine that can stream H.264 video seamlessly. All other storage speed doesn't really matter to me, it'll get there when it gets there. So I should be OK with onboard Raid and 4 3TB  Red drives in a Raid 5 config, right???

Don

On board RAID 5 is not preferred. Lots of overhead compared to a dedicated controller.

You must have been one of the early adopters of DB.  I've been running a N40L with it for over a year with ZERO issues.

I had been with WHS since the beginning, Ver 1, then 2011, I had numerous Frakenbuilds, and then I strayed... I cheated with FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, and then ended my affair with a Synology DS1812+. After many a days of regretful cheating I have realized my numerous mistakes and am now back in the saddle with a fresh Frakenbuild and Server 2012 Essentials but I have a few questions I need advice on. First off, I have the choice of two motherboards, first is a two year old first gen i7 with 12GB ram, and the other is a 1 year old 2nd gen i5 with 8GB ram. The next question that I can think of right now is should I go with onboard Raid 5 or use Storage Spaces with data redundancy, I plan on getting 4 3TB hard drives. The last question is should I get Red, Blue or Black hard drives and does it really matter.

Thanks

Don

I would also go with the second gen I5 (which is what I am running on two servers) as they are more power efficient and very stable.  You could not pay me enough to use the onboard RAID controller however so I would not suggest you use it.  If you are not going to use a dedicated card go for stable bit or drive bender as they are far better than storage spaces.

Highpoint Rocket Raid 2720 is a favorite among the users.  A mid-range card with good features and a decent price.

I would go with the 2nd gen board as well. An i5 is plenty for a server.

Ditto, do not use the onboard RAID5.

If you really want a RAID card, it's up to you re: $$$. As jmwills said, the HP 2720 is very popular with members of these forums. Myself, these days, I'm leaning more toward DrivePool and DriveBender. They have made major strides in features and reliability since you tried DB.

My main server uses a 2720 but the Microserver uses DB so I can put all of the odd drive sizes in there.  It's for backup, so that doesn't matter to me.  What does matter is it's stability and it has been rock solid for me.